Gapless playback problem with wav files and problem with wavpack files

Need help with MPD?
Fourlegs

Gapless playback problem with wav files and problem with wavpack files

Post by Fourlegs »

I am using an Antipodes K50 player/server which has MPD 0.20.20 preinstalled on the Player by the manufacturer and has MiniDNLA preinstalled on the Server. I use the Mconnect app on an ipad for file selection.

I am playing 768 and 705kHz wav files, some of which are split to comply with the wav file size limitations. The problem is achieving gapless playback, there is a short but annoying pause. Is this something rectified in later releases and in which case I will take it up with Antipodes and ask them to use a later release?

The second problem is that I thought that MPD supported wavpack files and I am hoping to convert my wav library to wv to get a useful (half size?) file size reduction. However the wv files are invisible when I look at the file library via Mconnect. Again, is this just an issue with Antipodes using and old version of MPD?

I hope I have explained my issues and provided enough info to go on.

Thanks,

Nick
max
Forum team

Re: Gapless playback problem with wav files and problem with wavpack files

Post by max »

Your MPD version is old and unsupported.
Fourlegs

Post by Fourlegs »

Thanks. I will take it up with the manufacturer and get them to install current versions.
max
Forum team

Post by max »

I had never heard of this product before, and such did not knew it shipped with MPD. Price tag is $16k, wow.

About WavPack: WavPack support was added to MPD in 2008, that's 13 years ago. Though I have no idea why anybody would ever want to use WavPack, except for playing existing files they got from somewhere else. FLAC is better if you want to encode your own music files.
But support for codecs needs to be enabled at compile time. I have no idea what features were enabled by Antipodes.

Anyway, at a price tag of $16k, I'd expect the vendor to not rely on user support by unpaid hobbyists like me.
Ran

Post by Ran »

768 kHz? Are you sure this is not a typo?
max
Forum team

Post by max »

Ran wrote: May 8th, 2021, 2:13 am 768 kHz? Are you sure this is not a typo?
Antipodes advertises that the K50 plays "PCM to 32bit/768kHz".

I, too, have difficulties understanding why anybody would ever want such an insane sample rate, or where to get music recorded at this rate. Or what kind of "golden ear" would ever be able to perceive a difference. In my understanding of human biology, more than 44 kHz/16bit is just wasted. But some audiophiles have their own set of alternative facts (and are willing to let go of considerate amounts of money for some quality theater) ;-)
Fourlegs

Post by Fourlegs »

The 768 files are because I am experimenting with a new off line upsampling application called PGGB. My initial assessment is that I really like what it does but the file size is (very) large. Although it can output FLAC for lower sample rates the higher ones demand WAV and the developer is experimenting with wavpack as a way of reducing the file size.

The processing of files with PGGB is a faff but the results are very interesting (in a good way). Some are using Roon to play the files and some are using HQP but with all upsampling and filters set to none. However I find the sound quality of both of those to be reduced compared to using MPD for playback.

If anyone is interested in looking there is discussion on Audiophilesound and one can read on the developers website.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi ... /#comments

https://www.remastero.com/pggb.html
Last edited by Fourlegs on May 8th, 2021, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo

Post by skidoo »

max wrote: May 7th, 2021, 5:30 pm I had never heard of this product before, and such did not knew it shipped with MPD. Price tag is $16k, wow.
$16k for a generic PC mainboard, a Raspberry and some audio interface in a fanless case without a sexy display? https://www.hifi-today.de/wp-content/up ... x697-1.jpg and they want to sell you additional licenses. Double wow.
max
Forum team

Post by max »

Fourlegs wrote: May 8th, 2021, 6:24 am If anyone is interested in looking there is discussion on Audiophilesound and one can read on the developers website.
Discussions in such filter bubbles used to entertain me, but these days, I don't have time for this kind of entertainment... for me, this is all superstition. It works because people believe it works.
max
Forum team

Post by max »

Maybe Fourlegs should have disclosed that he runs a website selling cables for £1495 which are advertised to "remove traces of digital harshness". WTF man!
skidoo

Post by skidoo »

I prefer a little bit of digital harshness http://www.doepfer.de/a1891.htm :D :D :D