mpd.conf file missing

Need help with MPD?
hav0ck

mpd.conf file missing

Post by hav0ck »

I am switching to MPD from Mopidy.

I just compiled and installed mpd 0.21.24 using the steps outlined here: https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/user.html

I am running on Ubuntu 18.04.

Things seemed to have gone well, I didn't notice any errors and it said MPD was installed into /user/local/bin. Check that location and sure enough there is mpd.

The problem is I can't find the mpd.conf file. I've looked in /etc, ~/.config/mpd, and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mpd. the last 2 locations don't exist. There is no/mpd in ~/.config. /$XDG_CONFIG_HOME seems to be the base directory (where /etc, /home, /root, /boot, et al live. I also checked in /usr/lib/etc but that's empty.

I copy and pasted the steps under "Compiling from source", when that didn't work I tried with sudo after doing a meson . output/release --wipe

I still cannot find mpd.conf.

max
Forum team

Re: mpd.conf file missing

Post by max »

Create it.
Why do you want to have a configuration file? What do you want to have in there? .... after answering those questions (for yourself), just create the file with the desired contents. If you need help with that and the documentation is too sparse, you can ask here.

hav0ck

Post by hav0ck »

max wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 10:51 am
Create it.
It's really that simple? I thought about doing that but figured if the config file was missing maybe something else was too. I'll work on the config today and come back if I have any questions.

There should be a note in the docs about if the file isn't there to just create it.

Thanks

max
Forum team

Post by max »

Technically, you don't need a configuration file, so you don't need to create one.
Did you answer the questions I asked? If you need any further help, you should post the answers before asking more questions.