Stange client behaviour [Solved}

Need help with MPD?
Hanspumpel

Stange client behaviour [Solved]

Post by Hanspumpel »

Hi there,
I have had a good look (and search) around here but could not find anything resembling my problem.
I've been using mpd for quite some years now and it always did what it's supposed to, until lately.
I used to have my nas on an old intel thingy with mpd running (but never playing) as a tag_cache server with 3 other instances (2 intel 1pi) attached to it. Everything worked like it should.
Lately I consolidated my nas into a pi4 with mpd now not only serving the tag_cache but also playing. My 2 other mpd instances run on a pi2 and pi 3 respectively.
Everything works fine, except that my clients (gmpc, malp) don't show any albums per artist on my "satellite" pi's anymore. They display albums per album but not per artist or albumartist.
On the tag_cache server all is well and everything plays fine on all 3 pi's.
The satellite's music directories point to nfs mounts and use the proxy plugin.
Obviously, if I point my satellites directly to the tag_cache on the nas everything works fine.
What's even more strange is that while gmpc does not show albums per artist on the satellites cantata does display everything as it should.
All pi's run the latest raspbian lite with mpd 0.21.4
So just to be sure I removed and purged gmpc and than installed it again with default settings.
To my surprise gmpc now throws me the following error.

error code 2:ACK [2@0] {} should be "Album" for 3 arguments

All config are as they were for the last couple of years and always worked fine until I started serving the tag_cache from my latest pi.
Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by Hanspumpel on June 8th, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

max
Forum team

Re: Stange client behaviour

Post by max »

0.21.4 is a very old version, and there were lots of bug fixes after that. Before we continue, upgrade to the latest version to be sure. There are Raspbian builds: https://www.musicpd.org/download-unoff-debian/

Hanspumpel

Re: Stange client behaviour [Solved}

Post by Hanspumpel »

Thank you for your reply.
Upgrading to 0.21.21 actually solved the issue but does not explain it.
Silly me, thinking that new versions resolve bugs and not introduce them as I am quite certain that my Intel boxes ran on ran on Debian stretch with mpd 0.19.21 an worked fine. Also it does not explain why gmpc does not work while cantata does.
But anyroad. I should have indeed gone down the upgrade route before pestering the forum.

max
Forum team

Re: Stange client behaviour [Solved}

Post by max »

Sometimes, it happens that a new version comes with a new bug, and once it gets reported, it gets fixed.
Unfortunately, Debian and Raspbian choose not to ship bugfixes to their users. Which causes lots of frustration for their users.