Audiophile Discussion of MPD

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
HZZ

Audiophile Discussion of MPD

Post by HZZ » October 4th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Hey,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been curious about MPD for some time now. There is much discussion of MPD on HiFi and audiophile forums. Much of the discussion centres around how good various versions of MPD sound. Part of my background is in IT so I always wondered how MPD is prepared for release and whether anyone listens to each or any release to ensure it sounds good. Or whether it's just released to play each codec natively with zero listening between releases. Does anyone know what the release strategy is? My assumption is that someone or a group of people listen to each release before it's released.

The other widespread audio chatter around MPD is whether any tuning of the sound is made between MPD releases or again whether it simply plays each codec natively?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone can give me.

max
Forum team

Re: Audiophile Discussion of MPD

Post by max » October 6th, 2019, 9:36 am

HZZ wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 10:02 pm
Much of the discussion centres around how good various versions of MPD sound.
Almost all of this discussion is bullshit.
My assumption is that someone or a group of people listen to each release before it's released.
None of that ever happened. Nobody ever does a listening test before a MPD release. I know this, I'm the release manager (and have been for 11 years), and I don't do it and I've never got any feedback from any group or any person about such a listening test.

There are various rumors about the audio quality of various MPD releases, and some people even believe that the switch from C to C++ made MPD sound worse - so much that one misdirected guy keeps on maintaining the old C-based branch. Based on superstition. And there's a lot of superstition among some audiophiles.

The technical truth is too boring people to believe - it's not an interesting story. So people come up with interesting stories, but they're not the truth.

Once you have bit-perfect playback (which is easy to do with MPD), there's nothing else you can do to improve quality. No matter the programming language or real-time scheduler setting or phase of the moon or signs of the zodiac. But as I said, that's a boring story.