cue sheet and MPD library?

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
bern

cue sheet and MPD library?

Post by bern » May 4th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Hi,
I've been using MPD (mainly lossless files) for a week and I'm very satisfy with sound quality.
I installed MPD on my home Ubuntu server (router, firewal, NAS, OPenVPN etc) and on several Wifi and LAN hosts. So I use MPD in the satellite mode. I managed to initially compare the sound quality of MPD with other players installed on the same hardware. I must admit (to my ears) MPD sounds the best. I like 3D imaging and wide scene. Clarity of playback is on high level.

However one thing miss me: e.g. updating the library/database with cue sheets metadata.
About 30% of my ripped albums are in one 'big' combined file. The metadata of album is stored in cue sheet. Currently MPD treat Cue sheet as playlist and (to my knowledge) do not update Library with cue metadata. So in my case library is incomplete and inconsistent. Just imagine that part of One artist collection you have in files where (one file=one track) and part in cue sheets where one file=many tracks. Currently browsing MPD library you see only one to one tracks. And when you want to play/add track from cuesheets you don't see those albums in the library instead you have to remember location of cue directories and you must switch to file browsing. To me it is highly inconvenient.

I thing that a good solution would be developing a method of adding metadata(tracks) from Cue sheets to the Library (as some players do). But of course the choice between the current method (cuesheet treated as a playlist) or developed method (cuesheet as a part of library) should be leaving to the user as configurable option in the mpd.conf file.

I just share the idea.
What do think? Would it be possible to put in one of the next version of the MPD? Or maybe there are other ideas or plans concerning cue sheet support?
Anyway thanks for a great player :-)
Regards,
Bern

max
Forum team

Re: cue sheet and MPD library?

Post by max » May 5th, 2019, 5:24 pm

There's a feature request for exactly this: https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues/39

I agree that this is a good idea, but havn't gotten around to implement this yet. Volunteer to help and submit code for it welcome.

t23

Post by t23 » August 11th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I have a similar question about m4b audio books and chaptering - so far mpd plays them as a whole from start to end, should i open a new thread or is it an "ain't gonna happen" thing? :)

t23

Post by t23 » August 12th, 2019, 2:00 am

I was gonna ask a similar question about how MPD handles chapters in .m4b files - as long as they are not encrypted, ffmpeg can index them fine. But maybe it is outside of the scope of a music player to handle chapters? I dunno, would be nice, but understood if it is not relevant.

max
Forum team

Post by max » August 12th, 2019, 10:47 am

What does "handle chapters" mean?

t23

Post by t23 » October 5th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Sorry for not having seen your response before.

By "handle" i mean the ability to skip to next chapter instead of next file. With my limited knowledge, the "skip to next subtrack" logic would be the same as handling cue sheeted music.

max
Forum team

Post by max » October 6th, 2019, 8:14 pm

MPD doesn't handle chapters then. It doesn't know about chapters; this is a feature that would need to be implemented in the first place.