Multiple values for specific tags

Cool stuff you can do with MPD. A place for you to put your hacks and patches, or be inspired by others'.
nbpf

Multiple values for specific tags

Post by nbpf » October 14th, 2015, 6:54 am

MPD accepts multiple values for certain tags (ARTIST, for instance) but not for others. GENRE, in particular, seems not to support multiple values. Is it possible to setup MPD (clients) to accept multiple values for a specific tag? Thanks, nbpf

max
Forum team

Re: Multiple values for specific tags

Post by max » October 16th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Why do you believe it does not accept multiple GENRE tags?

nbpf

Post by nbpf » October 16th, 2015, 8:44 pm

max wrote:Why do you believe it does not accept multiple GENRE tags?
Because when I filter by GENRE in ncmpcpp, GMPC or cantata I get selectable values like:
  • classical - baroque - cello
    classical - baroque - chamber
    classical - baroque - chamber - gamba
    classical - baroque - chamber - sonata
This suggests that tagging a file with "classical - baroque - cello" for GENRE in not interpreted as a "-"-separated list of values "classical", "baroque" and "cello" but rather as the single value "classical - baroque - cello". This is in contrast to tagging ARTIST with, for example, "Neville Marriner - Academy of St Martin in the Fields". In this case the entry is interpreted as the two values: "Neville Marriner" and "Academy of St Martin in the Fields". Best, nbpf

max
Forum team

Post by max » October 16th, 2015, 10:16 pm

No, all of that is wrong. MPD does not split a single tag string into multiple tag instances, and it supports multiple values for all tag types.

conta

Post by conta » October 16th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Just a suggestion:
Use "\\" as seperator. Works very well here with Mp3tag as tagging-device. But i use it only for artist and album-artist. I don't know, if it works with genres.

nbpf

Post by nbpf » October 17th, 2015, 7:39 am

conta wrote:Just a suggestion:
Use "\\" as seperator. Works very well here with Mp3tag as tagging-device. But i use it only for artist and album-artist. I don't know, if it works with genres.
Thanks Max! Best, nbpf