Music Location

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
JamesCRocks

Music Location

Post by JamesCRocks »

Hi,

Next question :)

I store my music in type/artist/album folders is on my NAS drive (M:) so, for example, I store Alice Cooper MP3s on my NAS drive under "Albums\Alice Cooper\" and the album names with playlists in the "Alice Cooper" folder. I have separate folders (with subfolders) for music collections, soundtracks, comedy and classical.

I hadn't thought of it until now, but mpd.conf has a parameter, music_directory, which is currently pointed at a local folder, c:\mpd where I had copied a hundred or so MP3s for testing. I tried removing the music_directory parameter and changing it to "c:\" but neither worked. Can MPD deal with such a file structure or do all my music files have to be in a single folder?

James
max
Forum team

Re: Music Location

Post by max »

You can set music_directory to "m:\", but why would you want "c:\" ?
JamesCRocks

Post by JamesCRocks »

Hi Max,
max wrote: April 12th, 2021, 9:28 amYou can set music_directory to "m:\", but why would you want "c:\" ?
Well, that was just a test (I corrected music_directory later to "c:/") but MPD couldn't see any of the MP3s in the c:\mpd folder. Nor would it work as "m:/", hence my question: given that my MP3 are stored in a complex but, to my mind, logical file structure, is MPD able to handle that?

James
max
Forum team

Post by max »

MPD doesn't care about your complex folder structure.
But did you update the database after changing the configuration? "mpc update"
JamesCRocks

Post by JamesCRocks »

Hi Max,
max wrote: April 12th, 2021, 6:25 pmMPD doesn't care about your complex folder structure. But did you update the database after changing the configuration? "mpc update"
I altered that one parameter, so music_directory="m:/" (bear in mind there isn't a single MP3 in the root of M:, all of them are in subfolders up to three deep.

I ran "mpc update" and got the following:

'mpc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I ran "mpd update" (on the assumption that "mpc" was a typo, and got the following:

exception: Failed to open update: The system cannot find the file specified.
: No such file or directory

This is seriously like getting blood out of a stone!

James
max
Forum team

Post by max »

You need to post the "update" command to MPD. One way to do that is to use the command-line tool "mpc" which you apparently do not have installed. There are other ways with other clients, but I don't know which client you're using.
But "mpd update" doesn't do anything, because "mpd.exe" doesn't have such an option; "mpd.exe" is the server, it's not a client, it can't send commands to a running MPD process.
JamesCRocks

Post by JamesCRocks »

max wrote: April 15th, 2021, 3:11 amYou need to post the "update" command to MPD. One way to do that is to use the command-line tool "mpc" which you apparently do not have installed. There are other ways with other clients, but I don't know which client you're using.
But "mpd update" doesn't do anything, because "mpd.exe" doesn't have such an option; "mpd.exe" is the server, it's not a client, it can't send commands to a running MPD process.
OK, it works at least with MPDCtrl.

Next question, new post :)

James