MPD Potentially Harmful?

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
JamesCRocks

MPD Potentially Harmful?

Post by JamesCRocks »

Hi,

New guy here :)

I'm an unashamed Windows user and just downloaded the latest Windows binary to be informed (by Windows) that, "mpd.exe was blocked because it could harm your device".

Checking the relevant MS page, I got this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/window ... n-overview

Do I need to be worried about this and any suggestions about how I can be sure the executable is safe? I am running AMPPS so perhaps there is an alternate download that doesn't involve an executable?

Thanks

James
max
Forum team

Re: MPD Potentially Harmful?

Post by max »

This is just security theater. If it had really found something "harmful", it would have told you more details. I have no idea what your problem means and why this happens.

Of course, it is a good idea to be cautious. Somebody may have hacked the MPD website and put a trojaned MPD build there. That is technically possible. That is why all downloads are signed with my GPG key - if the key matches, you can be sure it is really from me. Of course, you need to trust me. If you don't, you can compile mpd.exe on your own (then you still need to trust the source code, but you can read the source code ...).

My suggestion is: verify the GPG signature, and if it's good, you're good. What I can't do is help with security theater. That's just... theater.
JamesCRocks

Re: MPD Potentially Harmful?

Post by JamesCRocks »

max wrote: March 21st, 2021, 9:47 pmThis is just security theater. If it had really found something "harmful", it would have told you more details. I have no idea what your problem means and why this happens.
OK, I submitted the file to virustotal.com and that suggested it was OK.

Job done.

James