how to edit mpd database?

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
frogola

how to edit mpd database?

Post by frogola »

MPD 0.21.23 on RaspberryPi debian 9.11

My mpd database contains a lot of crufty old obsolete data, which I would like to remove. But I can't find any documentation on how to edit the database.

Asking for suggestions, pointers, links, advice.
max
Forum team

Re: how to edit mpd database?

Post by max »

The database cannot be edited. You can only update it (e.g. "mpc update").
What does "crufty old obsolete data" mean, really? Data of files which have been deleted meanwhile? Data of files which have been modified meanwhile? "mpc update" will take care of both.
frogola

Post by frogola »

Thanks for the reply Max. I almost always do an 'mpc update' after adding new files [frequently]. I still see apparently bogus entries when browsing, but this gives me a clue as to the cause. Possibly from random scattered files at the music directory root. I'm working that now. Great if that's all that's causing it.
frogola

Post by frogola »

Max,

Here is an example from my database:

When I browse 'Genres' at the top of the list is an entry named '149'. It contains one album 'a frames', with the complete track listing inside. This is not a label I would intentionally use for Genre.

The Genre tag for all of the tracks on this album is labeled 'Art Rock'. 'mpc search genre 149' lists only these tracks and no others. There is a 'Art Rock' entry in the Genres list, but it does not include this album 'a frames' [although it does include another album by the same artist].

Why does this Genre '149' exist? Why is this album associated with it, when the genre tag for every track in the album is 'Art Rock'? And, why isn't this album listed in the 'Art Rock' entry for Genres?

If 'mpc update' does not clean this up, are there no alternatives?
DaveBullet1050

Post by DaveBullet1050 »

or stop mpd, delete the database, restart mpd and do mpc update
max
Forum team

Post by max »

If "mpc update" doesn't make those entries with Genre "149" disappear, then the files listed below that genre "149" exist and have this "Genre" tag.