Feature Question

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
mulluysavage

Feature Question

Post by mulluysavage »

MPD only catalogs files in one directory, right? It can't deal with files in multiple directories in different branches of the file tree, or find files on a LAN and import them, right?
Ran

Re: Feature Question

Post by Ran »

Not true. You can do the following:

1. Mount a directory within your path
2. Symlink a directory within your path
3. Add a folder dynamically when inserting a USB drive

What is it you are trying to do?
mulluysavage

Re: Feature Question

Post by mulluysavage »

I am designing a jukebox using a vintage television. The sound quality and look of the GUI are important to me. It will be a 5-inch black - and - white CRT and I want it to look old school and be readable from ten feet away. I want it to be controlled by a remote. I'm thinking of using a Raspberry Pi and doing audio via ALSA over USB, and use lirc or an Android phone for control. Then I want to access my music off of my NAS, or an attached USB drive, or both, or wherever my music is.

I am also considering using XBMC. I want the interface to be super - simple though, and that means stripping down a skin to bare bones. It also means either going audio over HDMI, which is more expensive and bulkier (I want to put the hardware inside the TV).

I'm not a programmer, I'm a tinkerer, so that means I will need to find help.