wrong order

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
kristofbastiaensen

wrong order

Post by kristofbastiaensen »

Hi,

I have ripped a CD of Péleas and Melissande, but mpd plays the tracks in the wrong order.
I don't have this problem with any other CD. Here is the order of the ripped files:

01 - Acte I scène 1 – Une forêt - Golaud 'Je ne pourrai plus sortir de cette forêt !'.mp3
02 - Acte I scène 1 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Pourquoi pleures-tu - N'ayez pas peur'.mp3
03 - Acte I scène 1 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Je suis perdu aussi' - Interlude.mp3
04 - Acte I scène 2 – Un appartement dans le château - Geneviève 'Voici (…)'.mp3
05 - Acte I scène 2 – (ibid.) - Geneviève 'Qu'en dites-vous -' - Arkel 'Je n'en dis rien'.mp3
06 - Acte I interlude n° 1.mp3
07 - Acte I scène 3 – Devant le château - Mélisande 'Il fait sombre dans les jardins'.mp3
08 - Acte I scène 3 – (ibid.) - Voix de marins 'Hoé ! hisse hoé !'.mp3
09 - Acte II scène 1 – Une fontaine dans le parc - Pelléas 'Vous ne savez pas (…)'.mp3
10 - Acte II scène 1 – (ibid.) - Pelléas 'C'est au bord d'une fontaine aussi (…)'.mp3
11 - Acte II interlude n° 2.mp3
12 - Acte II scène 2 – Un appartement dans le château - Golaud 'Ah ! ah ! Tout va bien'.mp3
13 - Acte II scène 2 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Voyons, donne-moi ta main, donne-moi (…)'.mp3
14 - Acte II interlude n° 3.mp3
15 - Acte II scène 3 – Devant une grotte - Pelléas 'Oui, c'est ici, nous y sommes'.mp3
16 - Acte III scène 1 – Une des tours du château - Mélisande 'Meslongs cheveux descendent'.mp3
17 - Acte III scène 1 – (ibid.) - Pelléas 'Je les tiens dans les mains, je les tiens dans la bouche …'.mp3
18 - Acte III scène 1 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Que faites-vous ici -' - Pelléas 'Ce que je fais ici -…'.mp3
19 - Acte III scène 2 – Les souterrains du château - Golaud 'Prenez garde - par ici, par ici'.mp3

This is the order I get:

Acte I interlude n° 1
Acte II interlude n° 2
Acte II interlude n° 3
Acte I scène 1 – Une forêt - Golaud 'Je ne pourrai plus sortir de cette forêt !'
Acte I scène 1 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Pourquoi pleures-tu - N'ayez pas peur'
Acte I scène 1 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Je suis perdu aussi' - Interlude
Acte I scène 2 – Un appartement dans le château - Geneviève 'Voici (…)'
Acte I scène 2 – (ibid.) - Geneviève 'Qu'en dites-vous -' - Arkel 'Je n'en dis rien'
Acte I scène 3 – Devant le château - Mélisande 'Il fait sombre dans les jardins'
Acte I scène 3 – (ibid.) - Voix de marins 'Hoé ! hisse hoé !'
Acte II scène 1 – Une fontaine dans le parc - Pelléas 'Vous ne savez pas (…)'
Acte II scène 1 – (ibid.) - Pelléas 'C'est au bord d'une fontaine aussi (…)'
Acte II scène 2 – Un appartement dans le château - Golaud 'Ah ! ah ! Tout va bien'
Acte II scène 2 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Voyons, donne-moi ta main, donne-moi (…)'
Acte II scène 3 – Devant une grotte - Pelléas 'Oui, c'est ici, nous y sommes'
Acte III scène 1 – Une des tours du château - Mélisande 'Meslongs cheveux descendent'
Acte III scène 1 – (ibid.) - Pelléas 'Je les tiens dans les mains, je les tiens dans la bouche …'
Acte III scène 1 – (ibid.) - Golaud 'Que faites-vous ici -' - Pelléas 'Ce que je fais ici -…'
Acte III scène 2 – Les souterrains du château - Golaud 'Prenez garde - par ici, par ici'

Regards,
Kristof Bastiaensen

max
Forum team

Re: wrong order

Post by max »

Maybe your tags are broken. Nobody knows because you didn't give enough information.

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

Kristof, as far as I understand, MPD plays the files of an album according to the lexicographical order of the "Title" tag values. Perhaps Max can confirm this assumption or explain which replay order is otherwise enforced by MPD. Your "Title" values are possibly like in the second list of your post. If my assumption is correct, you should be able to enforce the correct replay order by just modifying those values. You can so so with a number of programs, from lltag (command line) to EasyTAG, Ex Falso, puddletag and many more. Best, nbpf

max
Forum team

Post by max »

nbpf wrote:Kristof, as far as I understand, MPD plays the files of an album according to the lexicographical order of the "Title" tag values.
Wrong. MPD plays the files (wherever they come from) in the order they appear in the play queue. (Unless you have specified song priorities or enabled random mode.)

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

max wrote:
nbpf wrote:Kristof, as far as I understand, MPD plays the files of an album according to the lexicographical order of the "Title" tag values.
Wrong. MPD plays the files (wherever they come from) in the order they appear in the play queue. (Unless you have specified song priorities or enabled random mode.)
Right. The relevant question is, in which order the files of an album are added to the queue, when a whole album is selected for being played. Is this order client specific or is there some MPD mechanism for enforcing uniform behavior across clients? Best, nbpf

max
Forum team

Post by max »

nbpf wrote:in which order the files of an album are added to the queue, when a whole album is selected for being played.
How do you "select an album"? MPD doesn't know about albums.

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

max wrote:
nbpf wrote:in which order the files of an album are added to the queue, when a whole album is selected for being played.
How do you "select an album"? MPD doesn't know about albums.
Selection of single files of whole albums is usually done via MPD clients. My understanding is that the OP has written "I have ripped ... but mpd plays the tracks in the wrong order" but what he actually means is that when he selects the corresponding album in a MPD client, then the tracks are not played in the expected order. Since MPD plays the files in the order in which they appear in the queue, the problem boils down to how the files are added to the queue. Which, I deduce from your answer, is client-specific. Maybe the OP could explain which MPD client he is using. Many MPD clients are rather poorly documented and the problems the OP has encountered are not very surprising.

kristofbastiaensen

Post by kristofbastiaensen »

UPDATE: auremo on windows gets the order right. Both gmpc (linux) and MPDroid (android) get it wrong. So it's probably a client issue.

I have the files in subdirectories. On gmpc I press replace on the directory to put the files in the playlist. On MPDroid I press "add, replace and play". I am not using the album, since for classical music it's often messed up.

The titles on the mp3 tag I have shown in the second list. However the order is not by title, nor by track numbers (which are correct). I have no problem with the other CD's I ripped (about a 100).