Song blacklist feature

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
tremby

Song blacklist feature

Post by tremby »

I have some albums where I always want to skip particular tracks. For example an album where the second disc or last few tracks are demos or live versions, that sort of thing. I don't want them to disappear from the library, but I'd like them not to be added to the playlist, or added but automatically skipped.

Does such a feature exist? If not, would it be something worth adding to MPD, or would this only make sense as a feature of a client (or a standalone client to do just this)?

max
Forum team

Re: Song blacklist feature

Post by max »

No, and I don't think this would be a useful feature. If you don't want to add a certain song to the queue, just don't add it to the queue.

tremby

Post by tremby »

Perhaps not for you, Max, and that's fair.

I listen to music an album at a time, and the clients I use let me do that with one button, for the most part -- I find the album and then I tell it to add it. It adds all of the tracks to the playlist. But as I said above some albums have "bonus tracks" on them, which aren't really part of the experience of the album, at least in my opinion. It is a pain to either add the whole album and then go to the playlist and remove those last few, or to manually select less than all of the tracks of the album and add those. There are enough albums like this that I listen to frequently enough to make the procedure tiresome.

I think what I will attempt to do, then, is to write a small client which sits in the background and listens for songs to be added to the playlist. If certain songs are added the client removes them again. It'd be nice to only do so if the whole album is being added at once (so if I really want to listen to these bonus tracks I can still add them one at a time), so hopefully there's a way to detect that.

Rasi
Forum team

Post by Rasi »

You can ignore files from adding to database

http://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/music_d ... abase.html

tremby

Post by tremby »

That's good to know, but I don't actually want to exclude them from the library. I guess it's a pretty specific use case.