USB amplifier recommendations?

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
tremby

USB amplifier recommendations?

Post by tremby » July 30th, 2017, 12:26 am

I'm looking for a specific piece of equipment, but haven't been able to find anything which quite matches what I'm looking for.

It's possible that it exists, but I'm searching by all the wrong keywords.
  • USB interface
  • Outputs to passive left and right speakers (speakers are not chosen yet, so the specs here in terms of impedance and interface aren't set in stone)
  • Small form factor
  • No hardwired physical volume control: volume (i.e. amp power) must be controlled by the USB host as its mixer volume -- MPD will control this. It can optionally have a "soft-wired" volume control, i.e. a knob which affects the mixer level, but not in such a way that MPD can't then change it back again. Hopefully this is clear.
  • Minimal latency
  • Works on linux
Anyone know of anything like this?

tremby

Re: USB amplifier recommendations?

Post by tremby » October 4th, 2017, 1:41 am

Just tumbleweed since I posted this, but I'm still on the hunt.

Let's step back. Does anyone know if such a piece of equipment is actually possible?

The main thing, I think, is the mixer the audio interface exposes to the OS over USB. Am I right to say that such a thing can exist?

1. That a USB audio interface can say "here is a volume control, and I'll accept values from 0 to 255" or whatever,
2. ALSA or similar (and of course MPD) can see that and offer it in its volume controls,
3. And do nothing except report on the current value, and send the new value chosen by the user via USB to the audio interface?