MPD on Qnap NAS??

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
Buggy

MPD on Qnap NAS??

Post by Buggy » June 23rd, 2016, 7:02 am

Hi guys,

I'll like to setup a MPD-server to stream my private music collection. All my music is placed on an old Qnap TS-209 NAS-server and I was wondering if it's possible to install MPD on the NAS, instead of setting up a separate MPD-server?

I've found a tutorial on how to install MPD on a Synology NAS, but I don't know if it will work on a Qnap NAS.

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=54528

Do any of you guys know if it's possible to install MPD on a Qnap NAS (and if so - how?)??

Cheers
Buggy

max
Forum team

Re: MPD on Qnap NAS??

Post by max » June 24th, 2016, 7:35 am

Your NAS can already "stream" music in a way much superior to MPD's streaming features. It's called SMB, CIFS or NFS. Why on hell would you want to do MPD a job that your NAS can already do better out-of-the box?

Buggy

Post by Buggy » June 30th, 2016, 5:42 am

Hi Max

I don't think you understand what I mean by "streaming". SMB, CIFS and NFS are ways of sharing files (I use SMB), but what I need is a way to "stream" and control music playback from my smartphone/tablet to my amplifier and I can't do that with my NAS. I think the best way to do it, is by setting up a MPD-server and use a MPD-client on my smartphone.

Buggy

max
Forum team

Post by max » July 1st, 2016, 7:40 am

That is not called "streaming". What you mean is called simply "playing".

lg.lindstrom

Post by lg.lindstrom » September 6th, 2017, 3:41 pm

#max

You have problem with being polite ...

skidoo

Post by skidoo » September 6th, 2017, 9:17 pm

@lg.lindstrom> Max aint a marketing guy. :D

@buggy> Max is right: play music on your NAS. But QNAP app center does not list any MPD packages. You should contact QNAP support forums for help building or crosscompiling MPD. What audio output? Builtin or USB audio interface?

lg.lindstrom

Post by lg.lindstrom » September 7th, 2017, 12:57 pm

:D have come to realize that .. but still,, a polite behaviour can be expected from everyone on a forum. Especially from moderators.

I think he will scare lot of users away from this forum and in the long run from using MPD,, and that is sad.

Thanks for your comments on my posts,, I value them.
/bye
/lg