Contributing to the documentation?

General Discussion about MPD – anything that doesn't fit in the other MPD forums.
SubG

Contributing to the documentation?

Post by SubG » August 1st, 2017, 11:53 am

Hi folks,

I visited this site yesterday for the first time while trying to figure out how to update my MPD 0.19.1 that was in Raspbian Jessie to a newer, better MPD 0.20.9.

The User Guide didn't really give me the info I needed as a (complete) beginner and to share what I learnt in the process of updating, maybe contributing to the manual would be a good idea. Is that possible/desired, if so, how?

Cheers (and thanks for the excellent MPD!)

max
Forum team

Re: Contributing to the documentation?

Post by max » August 1st, 2017, 6:59 pm

Yes, yes, yes, please!

Here is the source code of the user manual: https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MP ... c/user.xml
Clone the repository, write some text, submit pull request.

Many years ago I chose DocBook as the format, but while DocBook has its strengths, it has very obvious weaknesses. I would probably agree to convert it to Sphinx (= ReStructuredText) or something else. Sphinx sounds good because the Linux kernel has recently switched to it, so it's going to be a lively and well-supported project.

SubG

Re: Contributing to the documentation?

Post by SubG » August 1st, 2017, 8:36 pm

Thanks. Ok, haven't used DocBook before, but just downloaded XMLmind editor to edit it wysiwyg-style and looks pretty straightforward.

But, my fantastic dummies upgrade last night just stopped working after the first reboot. D'oh. So I'll fix that before contributing some (wrong!) instructions. I may be some time.