[Solved] MPD & Pulse Audio - No Sound ?

Need help with MPD?
Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 16th, 2018, 4:05 pm

My set up is an Odroid C2 with Armbian Stretch 4.18.y OS loaded.
I have MPD running on this.
A small test music library of 10 Flac tracks has been created on this device.
I have Cantata 2.0.1 as the Client, loaded.

Cantata sees the music library and tracks appear to play, as the progress bar is moving. But no sound.

I was hoping to get sound from the HDMI monitor plugged in to the Odroid C2.
I did this successfully a few days back, using the same set up with ubuntu/Mate desktop and it worked straight out of the box.

The difference here is that Armbian is using Pulse Audio and I think it is this that is the problem. I have searched and found various suggestions focusing on the mpd.conf settings for audio_output. I am using type "pulse" and for name several things have been suggested including "My MPD PulseAudio Output", "pulse audio", "PulseAudio" etc but non of this made a difference and I'm not sure what the correct entry should be, the default loaded was "My Pulse Output". server and sink are commented out. Alsa is commented out.
Another suggestion was that the user had to be part of the audio group. The "user" in mpd.config is "mpd" and this user is part of the group "audio". My account is also part of this group, which is the default account when the desktop launches.

The example pulse output in mpd.conf is for streaming to a remote pulseaudio server. they recommend reading "README.Debian" if you want mpd to play through the pulseaudio daemon started as part of your graphical desktop session. This is exactly what I am trying to do, but I can not access README.Debian.

Anyone know what to check for ?
Last edited by Qwin on December 19th, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

max
Forum team

Re: MPD & Pulse Audio - No Sound ?

Post by max » December 16th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 16th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Help says very little about audio output. It does say load the latest version of mpd.
I loaded mpd with "apt install mpd" I presumed this would load the latest version.
0.19.21 has loaded.
I see 0.21.3 is the latest.
I tried "sudo apt-get update" loaded quite a few other upgrades but mpd version stayed the same.
How do I update to this latest version from the command line ?

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 17th, 2018, 9:13 am

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 17th, 2018, 11:05 am

@max - are you saying I have to compile from source?
I appreciate the help, but it would be easier to understand, if you just said what I had to do, rather than posting only links, I've read the whole of the help page several times.

I've not heard of any of the 4 pre-requisites to be able to compile from source, let alone if they are installed, pretty complicated stuff to get to play some music.

I shall try Google and find out how to establish, if these items are installed.

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 17th, 2018, 11:12 am

I posted those links because you ask questions which have been answered already, but you didn't read the documentation prior to asking.
If you want to get free support from me, you have to use the latest MPD version. That is, you don't have to, but on the other hand I don't have to help you. I choose not to help you if you have an older MPD version with known bugs, because more often than not, problems turn out to be fixed already in newer versions, and figuring out older versions is just a waste of time.
If the distribution of your choice doesn't come with up-to-date MPD packages, complain to your distribution, or switch to a different distribution. But if you choose to keep on using those outdated MPD packages, this is not the place to ask for help.

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 17th, 2018, 11:13 am

Qwin wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 11:05 am
I've read the whole of the help page several times.
One more thing about this. If you've read the help page several times, then why didn't you follow the instructions listed there? I post this help page link only to people who didn't follow it.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 17th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Qwin wrote:
I've not heard of any of the 4 pre-requisites to be able to compile from source, let alone if they are installed, pretty complicated stuff to get to play some music.
Volumio - it is free (Android control app costs 2 or 3 bucks), open source, uses MPD under the hood and there are prefab images for your Odroid. Or choose Archphile.

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 17th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Volumio uses MPD under the hood? The Volumio website claims that Volumio can be controlled using MPD clients by emulating the MPD protocol, but I couldn't find any trace that it actually uses MPD for anything.
If it does, does it ship with a supported MPD version?

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 17th, 2018, 3:55 pm

max wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 11:13 am
Qwin wrote:
I've read the whole of the help page several times.
One more thing about this. If you've read the help page several times, then why didn't you follow the instructions listed there? I post this help page link only to people who didn't follow it.
Because the instructions in help use terms which require prior knowledge.
To a new Linux/command line user it is mostly Greek, so not always easy to understand which bit even relates to your problem.

eg. I followed the help instructions and loaded mpd using "apt install mpd" thinking, not unreasonably, that this would load the latest version from the MPD site. The notes in the highlighted box, about Debian/Ubuntu shipping very old versions, meant nothing, as I loaded my OS without MPD being included. It would appear what you are saying is that the "apt install" command does not go looking at MPD, but goes to a Debian repository to load which ever version of MPD they hold. This is not obvious to new users. I have been reading about this stuff for days, and no where was that point made plain, on any of the dozens of sites and forum threads I have visited.

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 17th, 2018, 4:07 pm

skidoo wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Qwin wrote:
Volumio - it is free (Android control app costs 2 or 3 bucks), open source, uses MPD under the hood and there are prefab images for your Odroid. Or choose Archphile.
I don't really want to go with Volumio.
I've tried several clients and Cantata seems to do things the way I want and has a very intuitive, clean, interface.

I was using Cantata with the default Odroid/mate desktop, both from the host and a networked laptop. I only ran into problems with the sound, when I installed Armbian OS and tried to duplicate the set up on that.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 18th, 2018, 1:36 am

max wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 1:03 pm
Volumio uses MPD under the hood? The Volumio website claims that Volumio can be controlled using MPD clients by emulating the MPD protocol, but I couldn't find any trace that it actually uses MPD for anything.
If it does, does it ship with a supported MPD version?
Recent image did not work as virtual machine or on real x64 hardware. Mounted squash filesystem and did some text search Volumio2 version: 2.513, release date: 07-12-2018 contains MPD 0.20.6 and mpc 0.26

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 18th, 2018, 9:49 am

skidoo wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 1:36 am
Recent image did not work as virtual machine or on real x64 hardware. Mounted squash filesystem and did some text search Volumio2 version: 2.513, release date: 07-12-2018 contains MPD 0.20.6 and mpc 0.26
Interesting, but that's not a supported MPD version; it was outdated already long before this Volumio version was released.
Doesn't matter though, because I've never received a support request from a Volumio user. (And I've never heard of anybody using it)

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 18th, 2018, 2:53 pm

EFI fun... Finally got Volumio2 in Virtualbox running. Might be useful for someone.

VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI [filename].img [filename].vdi

VBox Settings
  • System -> Motherboard -> Extended Features: Enable EFI
  • Boot HDD must be attached to SATA controller! IDE, SCSI or SAS will not work
  • 64 bit Linux guest on 64 bit host
  • at least 1 GB memory
Volumio2 lists MPD as "Core Package"

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 19th, 2018, 10:29 am

Looks as though the problem is not with MPD and lies with Armbian(Ubuntu) + Pulse Audio and the combination of latest versions not giving audio output over HDMI, from any source. I'm not sure if this is for just for the C2 version, but it's a known issue since version changes Nov18 and being worked on. Meanwhile I have gone back to the stock Odroid C2 offering of Ubuntu/Mate desktop, which works with MPD straight out the box using Cantata.
It's a pity, I like Armbian, I shall revisit when the bugs have been sorted and I move to i2s audio output.