Playback of 192/24 Raspberry Pi

Need help with MPD?
hagensieker

Playback of 192/24 Raspberry Pi

Post by hagensieker »

I'm having an issue where MPD is not playing back 192/24 files and 96/24 is very very choppy. I know the hardware works because the same files play under squeezelite and logitechmediaserver with the following confirmation:

Code: Select all

[root@pidigiplus ~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 1920
buffer_size: 7680
Ditto on 9600/24. Perfect playback as well.

Now under MPD all I get is the occasional pop and click and no music on 192/24: With 96/24 very choppy

[root@pidigiplus ~]# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 16384
buffer_size: 65536
Below is my mpd.conf:

# See: /usr/share/doc/mpd/mpdconf.example
music_directory "/mnt/nas"
pid_file "/run/mpd/mpd.pid"
db_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpd.db"
state_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpdstate"
playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
password "PASSWORD@read,add,control,admin"
bind_to_address "any"
port "6600"
log_level "verbose"

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "Digiberry"
device "hw:0,0"
mixer_type "software"
auto_resample "no"
use_mmap "yes"
}

I am running a Raspberry Pi B+ with ArchArm Linux and a Hi-Fi Berry Digi DAC. Any help appreciated.

Also asound.conf:

pcm.!default  {
 type hw card 0
}
ctl.!default {
 type hw card 0
}

max
Forum team

Re: Playback of 192/24 Raspberry Pi

Post by max »

hagensieker

Post by hagensieker »

mpd --version

http://paste.debian.net/plain/138101

mpd.conf

http://paste.debian.net/plain/138102

I did achieve decent playback with an IQAudioDAC on Raspberry Pi with the above configuration. My issues were with HiFiBerryDAC which never did work without forcing everything into 44.1/16.

HiFiBerryDAC works and outputs all high resolution formats under LogitechMediaServer with Squeezelite so I figured it was a configuration issue in MPD or ALSA. At any rate a hardware change fixed my problem.

max
Forum team

Post by max »

You forgot the verbose log

rhoering

Post by rhoering »

hagensieker,

If you can (re)post in the forum message the "mpd --version" and "mpd.conf" they won't age out from the pastebin.

I believe you can attach a trimmed down verbose log as a file to the post.

If you you see any obvious messages in the verbose log you can paste them directly into the post. Underruns would be a good example.

If you are in the terminal on your system you can run "mpd --stdout --no-daemon --verbose" and watch the screen when you attempt to play a higher resolution file.

Once you can identify if there are messages that occur when the playback stutters you can pipe the above command to a file. Once you get a couple of playback stutters stop MPD and gather the file with the log messages and errors. Copy out the messages that look like the messages you saw before making sure to scroll back and forward to see if there are other messages that look related and post them.

On a side note, I have been using Rune Audio on a Raspberry Pi which uses MPD as its music client and Arch Linux as the OS. They have a number of kernels to try and some OS tuning that seems to help conserve the Raspberry Pi's resources. Very simple install to SD or micro SD and a very friendly web gui. http://www.runeaudio.com

Best regards,

Ron