Hi,

i am using mpd right now with these audio_output options

Code: Select all

#AUDIO_OUTPUT#
audio_output {
	type "pulse"
	name "My_Pulse"
}
and it is working fine. But i want to use external Audio and connect my laptop with and networkplayer via usb. A friend already told me i probably need to use "alsa" instead of "pulse" and i think my config should look like this

#AUDIO_OUTPUT#
audio_output {
	type "alsa"
	name "My_Alsa"
        device "???"
}
with terminal commands like aplay lsusb and dmesg (is there an equivalent in linux to windows device manager?) i already found out that they detect something. I want to know how my audio_output should look like and where/how can i find the missing informations.

Btw i am running Linux Mint 17.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rasi
Forum team

Re: how to configurate audio_output

Post by Rasi »

no you dont need to use alsa. infact pulse works better with multiple soundcards, since you can switch easily on the fly.
just leave your original output as it was and use pavucontrol to switch which soundcard is used by mpd.

You can also set the correct pulse sink directly.
Example:

audio_output {
                type            "pulse"
                name            "caprica"
                sink            "alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00-CODEC.iec958-stereo"
}
You can find the name of the sink with:

carnager@tauron ~ > pactl list sinks | grep "Name:"
	Name: alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TI_USB_Audio_CODEC-00-CODEC.iec958-stereo

skidoo

Post by skidoo »

infact pulse works better with multiple soundcards, since you can switch easily on the fly.
just leave your original output as it was and use pavucontrol to switch which soundcard is used by mpd.
Why not switching soundcards via MPD client :) Just define one output per soundcard.

@Stefan

$ cat /proc/asound/cards

$ aplay -l

$ aplay -L
Try device "hw:0,0" for first soundcard.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Thx for the replies,

it is working for now with my initial alsa idea. I only needed the device number which i can find out via aplay -l. For now i try to sooner or later install mpd on the network player since i got a custom firmware to try out. If this is working i could give i a try with pulse since it is newer than alsa and due to that probably somehow better.