attempting to stream aac(p) crashes mpd 0.19-1 on archlinux

Need help with MPD?
drooly

attempting to stream aac(p) crashes mpd 0.19-1 on archlinux

Post by drooly »

hello,
i've already started a discussion about this on archlinux forums but before filing a bug report i thought it prudent to ask here, too.
i have searched the web a lot, but people have problems with aac not streaming at all through mpd, not what i describe.

the problem:
i have definitely been able to listen for aacp streams (or what the website/lpaylist of that station advertises as aacplus - it shows up as some form of aac when checking codecs with vlc) with mpd & ncmpcpp for a long time, but recently it stopped working:

Code: Select all

please see first post of archlinux thread; i'm not allowed to post so much text
the url in question is

http://sfstream1.somafm.com:8382
but it seems all aacp streams behave the same, whereas all mp3 streams work.
i can play the same streams fine with smplayer, ffplay (this in particular makes me think it is not a bug with ffmpeg, which i believe to be the backend used by mpd), vlc and moc (see here for details).
i tried with both the mpd version in the repos and the AUR git version (0.18.14.1387.ga464dc6-1) on 2 archlinux boxes with 2 different kernels.

this is how vlc identifies the stream(s):
Type: Audio
Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
AAC extension: SBR

max
Forum team

Re: attempting to stream aac(p) crashes mpd 0.19-1 on archli

Post by max »

drooly wrote:hello,
i've already started a discussion about this on archlinux forums but before filing a bug report i thought it prudent to ask here, too.
Discussing crash bugs is pointless.

drooly

Post by drooly »

the choice of the word "discussion" was wrong - the archlinux thread is a help thread, hoping to find a solution to this, just like this one.

now i don't easily shout "bug" when something doesn't work, but if you have a closer look at the archlinux thread, i really tried a lot and the crash seems pretty persistent (at least on archlinux) - and as far as my limited abilities allow me to assess the situation, it really seems to be one.

of course i would be much happier to find a solution (or at least an explanation) instead of filing a bug report.

max
Forum team

Post by max »

drooly wrote:now i don't easily shout "bug" when something doesn't work
A crash is always a bug.

drooly

Post by drooly »

despite the wonderful support i have been getting here, someone else beat me to filing a bug report - to which i added my 5ct's worth.

max
Forum team

Post by max »

That bug report lacks necessary information and is thus USELESS and will be closed until the missing pieces are submitted.

drooly

Post by drooly »

do you call this communication? because i certainly don't.

for the past few days i've been trying to establish some kind of understanding about this issue - and an issue it is for archlinux users at least - and how to correctly proceed, and all i'm getting from you is monosyllabic, nitpicking and certainly not helpful comments.
and now that i've taken the initiative to do something (well actually someone else beat me to it), you insult me with more CAPITALIZED judgemental rant and threaten to shut the bug report down

why?

edit: i just had a look at said bug report - soemone (different username, same style) said it's useless without a full backtrace.
now if this thread would have taken a different route from the very beginning, i might feel more inclined to ask for help with something that i have never done before.

Rasi
Forum team

Post by Rasi »

drooly, excuse him, he is not too good with these things :P

anyway, what you need to do is the following:

recompile mpd (using abs for example), make sure to add "options=(!strip) to the PKGBUILD file
and also change the make command to "CFLAGS=-g make"
run

makepkg -is
to install the package.

now install gdb and run gdb /usr/bin/mpd
in the gdb command prompt type the following:

run --stdout --no-daemon --verbose
now its the time to reproduce your crash.
once its done, run this in the gdb console:

thread apply all bt
save this whole output and put it on the bug report.

rhoering

Post by rhoering »

Thanks Rasi,

That is a great note. Maybe we can create a sticky post on how to get a proper backtrace. I know I fought long and hard to get one in the past.

Best regards,

Ron

rhoering

Post by rhoering »

Max:

I reread the TroubleShooting section of http://www.musicpd.org and the section on capturing the backtrace probably could use a bit of expansion. http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_ ... oubleshoot

Rasi:

Is this something you could help with?

Rasi
Forum team

Post by Rasi »

that wiki is deprecated. but the gdb section of that page is perfectly fine
Also, at least for arch linux, this soon wont be needed anymore, since arch linux will get seperate debug packages.