Installed, but not working

Need help with MPD?
feffer

Installed, but not working

Post by feffer » August 12th, 2017, 4:48 am

Getting mpd to work after installation.

Installing to a server in my home network. Plan to run players like Ario on my client machines. Installed to the headless Ubuntu server from the repo with "#apt install mpd" version: Music Player Daemon 0.19.12. Installed Ario to the client machines also with apt.

The problem: the mpd daemon seems to run and Ario seems to connect and display my music and songs "seem" to play, but no sound from my speakers. Tested client machine with "sound" and got normal output. Also got Rhythmbox to play music normally from my old "sheeva plug" server running mt-daapd and it also works normally.

My /etc/mpd.conf file with commented out parts omitted:

music_directory "/home/ron/datax/music"

playlist_directory "/home/ron/datax/playlists"

db_file "/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache"

log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"

pid_file "/run/mpd/pid"

state_file "/var/lib/mpd/state"

sticker_file "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"

user "mpd"

# Static IP address of the server
bind_to_address "192.168.1.187"

port "6600"

auto_update "yes"

input {
plugin "curl"
# proxy "proxy.isp.com:8080"
# proxy_user "user"
# proxy_password "password"
}

audio_output {
type "pulse"
name "MPD"
# server "192.168.1.148" # optional
# sink "remote_server_sink" # optional
}

filesystem_charset "UTF-8"

id3v1_encoding "UTF-8"

Server outputs:

# service mpd status
● mpd.service - Music Player Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2017-08-11 15:40:04 PDT; 5h 53min ago
Main PID: 2345 (mpd)
Tasks: 10
Memory: 188.0M
CPU: 5min 4.760s
CGroup: /system.slice/mpd.service
├─2345 /usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon
├─2355 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
└─2358 /usr/lib/pulseaudio/pulse/gconf-helper

Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: doing parameter hosts allow = 192.168.1.
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: doing parameter case sensitive = No
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: doing parameter encrypt passwords = true
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: doing parameter security = user
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: pm_process() returned Yes
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: pm_process() returned No
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena mpd[2345]: added interface enp2s0 ip=192.168.1.148 bcast=192.168.1.255 netmask=255.255.25
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena pulseaudio[2355]: [pulseaudio] server-lookup.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.
Aug 11 15:40:05 xena pulseaudio[2355]: [pulseaudio] main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Erro
lines 1-22/22 (END)

## From this it looks like a pulseaudio issue. So I googled, and got some info from an Arch wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mu ... yer_Daemon). It seems that I'm doing a "global" setup ie networked server to clients and that there is a pulseaudio issue with that requiring a work-around. However, I tried various things already which made the situation works (failure to connect at all). So I could not really follow the Arch wiki well enough and need some help. It would be greatly appreciated.

I set up a server-client music system 7-8 years ago using mt-daapd and Rhythmbox, but mt-daapd seems pretty much obsolete and trying to install forked-daapd turned out to be compilation hell! So MPD seems to be my best hope. Thx, feffer

Postscript: Logging info:

Code: Select all

Note: Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x00000000 at offset 4092.
Note: Trying to resync...
Note: Hit end of (available) data during resync.
Aug 12 10:45 : mpg123: mpg123_getformat() failed: Message: I am done with this track.
Aug 12 10:45 : ffmpeg/mp3: Header missing
Aug 12 10:45 : ffmpeg/mp3: decoding for stream 0 failed
Aug 12 10:45 : ffmpeg/mp3: Could not find codec parameters for stream 0 (Audio: mp3, 0 channels, s16p): unspecified frame size
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
Aug 12 10:45 : ffmpeg/flac: Could not find codec parameters for stream 0 (Audio: flac, 0 channels): unspecified sample format
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
Aug 12 10:46 : client: [1] closed
Aug 12 10:49 : player: played "music_dale/Arkenstones/David Arkenstone  Caravan Of Light 128/David Arkenstone - Caravan Of Light - 07 - The Spice Road.mp3"
Aug 12 10:53 : player: played "music_dale/Arkenstones/David Arkenstone  Caravan Of Light 128/David Arkenstone - Caravan Of Light - 09 - Under the Gypsy Mo.mp3"
Aug 12 10:59 : player: played "music_dale/Arkenstones/David Arkenstone  Caravan Of Light 128/David Arkenstone - Caravan Of Light - 11 - Caravan Of Light.mp3"
Aug 12 11:05 : player: played "music_dale/Arkenstones/David Arkenstone  Caravan Of Light 128/David Arkenstone - Caravan Of Light - 01 - Inshallah.mp3"
Last edited by feffer on August 12th, 2017, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

max
Forum team

Re: Installed, but not working

Post by max » August 12th, 2017, 6:10 pm

max
Forum team

Post by max » August 14th, 2017, 11:18 am

If you believe your edit is enough to get help, after I posted the link: no, it's not.

feffer

Post by feffer » August 14th, 2017, 11:19 pm

duplicated, same content as next post.
Last edited by feffer on August 15th, 2017, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

feffer

Post by feffer » August 14th, 2017, 11:27 pm

I did read the "help" page and all the related links. Finally, hit my issue in the "trouble-shooting" section: basically my speakers are on my client box and mpd lives on a separate server. Thought mpd was a model similar to mt-daapd that I've used for years...separate server - client model. I rather wish that info had been more "out front." Would have saved me a lot of trouble. Still, I considered using mpd to "web stream," but you basically said, "could be done, but not really built for it." Got it to play, but not what I'm looking for.

max
Forum team

Post by max » August 15th, 2017, 7:16 am

No, you did not read the "help" page. Or you intentionally ignored its contents. Particularly, you kept ignoring this part:

"make sure you have the latest MPD version (0.20.9)"

This is only your fault. Nobody else takes responsibility for this failure of yours. This (important!) sentence cannot be phrased any simpler or any more clear. You and many others just ignore it, or don't take it serious. I have no idea why.

But nothing of this matters, because luckily, you chose not to use MPD.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » August 15th, 2017, 11:52 am

Gentlemen, please.

@feffer:
basically my speakers are on my client box and mpd lives on a separate server.
Look here https://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/advanced_config.html
  • MPD "Master" - music files storage, export via nfs or samba and central database
    MPD Satellite(s) - decoding and audio output
    MPD Client (ncmpc, gmpc, MPDroid) - control

feffer

Post by feffer » August 15th, 2017, 7:54 pm

max wrote:No, you did not read the "help" page. Or you intentionally ignored its contents. Particularly, you kept ignoring this part:

"make sure you have the latest MPD version (0.20.9)"

This is only your fault. Nobody else takes responsibility for this failure of yours. This (important!) sentence cannot be phrased any simpler or any more clear. You and many others just ignore it, or don't take it serious. I have no idea why.

But nothing of this matters, because luckily, you chose not to use MPD.
Not quite sure why the rant, Max. I do appreciate the efforts of developers...and try to give back where I can. Sure, I did ignore the part about "latest MPD" because that wouldn't have helped me in any case...as skidoo mentions. The Big issue is the structure requiring either speakers ON the server or web streaming. My only quibble is that this structure wasn't more "out front." Would have save me a lot of time. I'm sure MPD is a fine solution, just not for my needs. In the end, I just used the simple, somewhat inelegant method of mounting the server music share on my client machines via cifs and an alteration of /etc/fstab. Not the true "server" method I'd hoped for, but works. Also my playlists in Rhythmbox are persistent over reboots so it's actually somewhat faster than my old mt-daapd solution. In any case, wish you well...
feffer

max
Forum team

Post by max » August 15th, 2017, 8:28 pm

So you admit that you were explicitly ignoring the "latest version" thing because it wouldn't have helped. There are two things wrong with that:

1. you ignored it without stating why you ignored it, so of course I insisted on not even reading your post any further, like I always do with ignorant people

2. at the time you chose to ignore it, you did not yet know whether it would have helped, which means you just lied to me about why you ignored it

And still you're "not quite sure why the rant"? Each post of yours gives me more reasons to be annoyed. Good riddance.