Dynamic assignment in multi-room audio on central server

Need help with MPD?

Dynamic assignment in multi-room audio on central server

Postby GoemonMPD » February 5th, 2017, 8:36 am

Hello everyone,

I make my first steps with MPD and work on setting up an multi-room audio system in my house. Speaker cables from all 4 zones run to a central point, where I will install 4 small stereo amplifiers connected to a 7.1 sound-card. My home server is a i386 PC running Lubuntu and I managed to have 4 instances of MPD running and each serves a stereo music signal to a specific zone via ALSA. Thank you to all who wrote the various nice tutorials for set-up.

To make this a true multi-zone audio system I want to dynamically switch between zones and combine them as well. Example: I am in the kitchen and like to hear the same music as currently is playing in the living room, so I want to redirect/copy the audio-output from my mpd-living instance to the channels of living and kitchen.
Is this possible? I have not found a solution - maybe I have the wrong search terms? (dynamic zone assignment mpd).

CU
GoemonMPD
GoemonMPD

Re: Dynamic assignment in multi-room audio on central server

Postby skidoo » February 6th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Do you know how to JACK?
skidoo

Postby GoemonMPD » February 12th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Hi skidoo, thanks I've also looked into JACK. But the solution was much simpler:
Every instance of mpd gets four "audio_output" sections, one for every zone. Good MPD clients are able to activate/deactivate each audio output. In my openHAB visu I will make rules that allow the swtiching and dynamic assignment of the mpds to the zones. Solved :)
GoemonMPD

Postby skidoo » February 15th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Your solution is much better (and simpler) than my first idea. Even worse the JACK plugin lacks volume control :( How do you handle conflicts between two MPD instances?
skidoo

Postby skidoo » February 18th, 2017, 3:42 pm

skidoo

Postby GoemonMPD » February 21st, 2017, 7:55 pm

Thank you for the link. One issue is left: how to control the Volume of the different outputs?
GoemonMPD

Return to Help