How to accept forbidden Windows Characters "?" and ":"

Need help with MPD?
koslowj

How to accept forbidden Windows Characters "?" and ":"

Post by koslowj »

I'm new here and looking through the forum I only found posts from 2014 that may be relevant to my question, maybe things have changed since.

My music collection is on an ext4-formatted disk (linux), that is shared via samba by a linux-based router also functioning as NAS. The (linux-based) network bridge uses MPD 0.21.15 (on my main linux machine I have 0.21.18). So far, the network bridge cannot use NFS instead of samba, maybe in the future.

My problem concerns file- and directory names containing "?" and ":": they don't show up after scanning the disk (like "Are You Experienced?.flac", or "Axis: Bold As Love"). I understand that the characters "?" and ":" are not allowed by Windows, but since I'm not using Windows anywhere in my audio-chain, I'd like to keep these names intact. Is there any setting or trick that would allow me to do that?

max
Forum team

Re: How to accept forbidden Windows Characters "?" and ":"

Post by max »

What is your configuration - are you using a SMB/CIFS kernel mount, or are you using MPD's SMB client? (`music_directory smb://...`)

koslowj

Post by koslowj »

I think it's the kernel mount. The network bridge is an SoTM SMS 200 Ultra Neo, which supports various
programs like roon, LMS via Squeezelite, HQPlayer etc. Hence specifying the shares is independent of the program to be used later.

max
Forum team

Post by max »

Can you see those file names on the command line with "ls"?

koslowj

Post by koslowj »

Now this is funny: remotely logging into the SOtM SMS 200 I can see the directories "1967. Are You Experienced?" and "1967. Axis: Bold As Love", but they are empty. So it may indeed be a SAMBA problem.
I will prepare an experiment to see what happens when only the files inside such directories contain the symbols in question, but not the directories themselves.

max
Forum team

Post by max »

True, sounds like the problem is not related to MPD. If a file is empty, MPD will fail to scan its tags, and thus not show it in the database.

skidoo

Post by skidoo »

Do not use illegal or special characters in filenames. Or use vfs_catia.

koslowj

Post by koslowj »

OK, sorry for the delay. Now I have directory (or folder) "Are You Experienced" containing a file
"Are You Experienced?.flac". After scanning with MPD, both Cantata and MALP (Android app) see the directory but not the file. However, remotely logging on to the network bridge, I can see the file "Are You Experienced?.flac" with the correct size.

vfs_catia looks promising, need to experiment. Thanks!