server client & audio gateway

Need help with MPD?
godfather007

server client & audio gateway

Post by godfather007 » March 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Hi,

just started with mpd after reading about the engine being such a lightweight daemon.

Pulled up my first archlinux which is kind of difficult being a bare-minimum os but i keep trying.

I want to have a VM running and presenting a music collection (like LMS) and streaming it to another device in the network.

At the moment i can connect with M.A.L.P on android to the daemon and browse around. Which seems to work very smooth, even with 80.000 files in the DB.

Now i want to stream the sound to a device like kodi which i would have to supply with a MPD-receiver of some kind. Also having a pogoplug (+ USB SP-DIF) with squeezelite on it which could be used?

Any tips? I've read that pulse audio could be the network stack for it? Or is it much simpler?

max
Forum team

Re: server client & audio gateway

Post by max » March 12th, 2018, 9:39 pm

This sounds kind of pointless. Instead of using MPD, you should better give Kodi access to the network share with your music.

godfather007

Post by godfather007 » March 13th, 2018, 5:02 am

I know what you are saying but i would love to have a central music DB which can stream to dedicated targets (like squeezbox used to have).

Or remotely manageable clients (kodi or any arm device with an mpd-client) which connects to the mpd in the lan.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » March 13th, 2018, 10:48 pm

I know what you are saying but i would love to have a central music DB which can stream to dedicated targets (like squeezbox used to have).
Give snapcast a try: https://github.com/badaix/snapcast
Or remotely manageable clients (kodi or any arm device with an mpd-client) which connects to the mpd in the lan.
Multiple MPD servers in a satellite setup. MPD clients are for control not for playing.

godfather007

Post by godfather007 » March 14th, 2018, 5:47 am

Thanks for the link, looks interesting.