[SOLVED] Will GMPC run without a full dektop GUI

Gnome Music Player Client - Support forum for the oldest GTK+ based Client.
Qwin

[SOLVED] Will GMPC run without a full dektop GUI

Post by Qwin » November 18th, 2018, 5:48 pm

Hi all, new to the forum.

I am considering a music streamer project using minimal Ubuntu on a Odroid C2 with MPD installed. Initially I want to run GMPC on the same C2 to control MPD.

Will GMPC run on just minimal Ubuntu or does it need a GUI installed to run properly.

I am presuming minimal Ubuntu does not have a GUI.
Last edited by Qwin on December 7th, 2018, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

max
Forum team

Re: Will GMPC run without a dektop GUI

Post by max » November 18th, 2018, 7:58 pm

GMPC is a GUI client. How would you expect to use a GUI program without a GUI?

Qwin

Post by Qwin » November 18th, 2018, 8:59 pm

So, to be specific, does GMPC have its own GUI or does it use the OS GUI of the unit it is installed on.
Presume no knowledge on my part, this is all brand new to me.

When I eventually use a remote tablet for GMPC this will not be an issue, but initially I want to run it on the same machine as MPD, which I want to run as a lightweight minimal version of Ubuntu without a GUI.

It sounds as though you are saying this is not possible?

max
Forum team

Post by max » November 19th, 2018, 8:33 am

What you write doesn't appear to make any sense at all. Do you even know what GMPC is?

skidoo

Post by skidoo » November 27th, 2018, 10:36 pm

I am considering a music streamer project using minimal Ubuntu on a Odroid C2 with MPD installed.
Mission possible. Or stay in the x86 mainstream with some fanless Celeron mainboard.

Initially I want to run GMPC on the same C2 to control MPD.
X-Windows and with a desktop engine is not a minimal installation. Go for a headless server and use ncmpc client. https://www.musicpd.org/clients/ncmpc/

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 3rd, 2018, 5:11 pm

max wrote:
November 19th, 2018, 8:33 am
What you write doesn't appear to make any sense at all. Do you even know what GMPC is?
I'm new to all of this but understand it to be an MPD Client.
I am told on another Forum that GMPC does not need a full GUI desktop/utilities and can be installed on minimal Ubuntu. That as it's a gnome app it will install part of the gnome desktop, just enough windowing features to run on minimal Ubuntu, without having to load a full desktop and all the unnecessary utilities for a music server/controller set up.
Not all programs need a separate GUI as they come with their own, so I accepted this was entirely possible.

I got minimal Ubuntu OS installed on my C2.
MPD is installed and runs automatically when the system boots up.
I installed GMPC but it won't launch, I get this:

** (gmpc:718): ERROR **: 15:58:46:271: Failed to parse commandline options: Cannot open display: Trace/breakpoint trap

Any ideas, or things to check ?
Or have I been misinformed about GMPC being able to run on minimal Ubuntu in this way ?

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 3rd, 2018, 5:17 pm

skidoo wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 10:36 pm
I am considering a music streamer project using minimal Ubuntu on a Odroid C2 with MPD installed.
Mission possible. Or stay in the x86 mainstream with some fanless Celeron mainboard.

Initially I want to run GMPC on the same C2 to control MPD.
X-Windows and with a desktop engine is not a minimal installation. Go for a headless server and use ncmpc client. https://www.musicpd.org/clients/ncmpc/
Windows options run very expensive and do not give the i2s audio output I require.
The i2s audio output from the Odroid C2 will go through an Allo Kali i2s re-clocker board and then via HDMI leads into my PS Audio DAC. That's the idea anyway, if it all pans out.

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 3rd, 2018, 6:52 pm

GMPC is not a GNOME app. GMPC doesn't know or care if you have GNOME. It needs GTK, but not GNOME. If GNOME is what your question was about: yes, GMPC will run without GNOME.

Qwin

Re: Will GMPC run without a full dektop GUI

Post by Qwin » December 3rd, 2018, 9:15 pm

max wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:52 pm
GMPC is not a GNOME app. GMPC doesn't know or care if you have GNOME. It needs GTK, but not GNOME. If GNOME is what your question was about: yes, GMPC will run without GNOME.
I'm not sure what your saying, never heard of GTK, like I mentioned I'm new to all this and thought the G in GMPC stood for GNOME.
I was told I could run GMPC on minimal Ubuntu, are you saying it will not run and needs something like Xubuntu or Lubuntu to work ?

I was looking for the most lightweight solution, as my application is for storing/playing music and nothing else. I may have been given poor information, that set me on this path, if it won't work, it won't work, I'll load Xubuntu instead. Just looking for a knowledgeable answer before spending anymore time on it.
Last edited by Qwin on December 4th, 2018, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

Uh, what is "minimal Ubuntu"?
This has nothing to do with Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Ubuntu (or GNOME).
I don't think I can help you further. It looks like you're trying to build something which is way over your head. You don't know what any of these keywords mean. You don't know how Linux works. You're trying to hack something, but you lack the required basic knowledge. Keep that motivation, that's good, but start with learning basic things about Linux.

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 3rd, 2018, 11:20 pm

max wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 9:29 pm
Uh, what is "minimal Ubuntu"?
This has nothing to do with Xubuntu or Lubuntu or Ubuntu (or GNOME).
I don't think I can help you further. It looks like you're trying to build something which is way over your head. You don't know what any of these keywords mean. You don't know how Linux works. You're trying to hack something, but you lack the required basic knowledge. Keep that motivation, that's good, but start with learning basic things about Linux.
Minimal Ubuntu is the basic Ubuntu OS without a GUI desktop and available as a download here: https://dn.odroid.com/S905/Ubuntu/
I was told to use this and it would work with GMPC quote:
"gmpc is a gnome application. When you install it, it will install the necessary desktop components as well. It will transform your minimal image into a desktop one, but without some tweaks for video acceleration.
You'll need a mouse/keyboard/tv to operate it, or vnc."

Xubuntu etc have additional desktop features, utilities and office tools I don't need, so I leapt at the chance to use the lightweight option, minimal Ubuntu is half the size of Xubuntu. Other than the guy I quote above, who suggested using this combination, no one seems to be able to answer whether it will work or not. So I don't know if I was just given poor info and what I was told to do is impossible or whether it is just not configured correctly.
Its all over my head as I am only a week or two into this stuff.
I have MPD running successfully on the purely command line Minimal Ubuntu and eventually I will control this via a network connected android tablet with GMPC on it. This should work without issue as many people have done this and it is well documented. I was trying to install everything on the one device first, as a testing/learning process before purchasing a tablet and setting up a home network, which will also be a first. I was simply trying to prove each step before moving on to the next. This one box offering would also allow me to address some audio hardware issues I need to resolve without having to purchase and install everything in advance. If it can't be done I will move to the next step, but everyone so far is dodging the question and not giving a straight Yes/No answer to feasibility.
Last edited by Qwin on December 4th, 2018, 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 3rd, 2018, 11:34 pm

@qwin> RTFM ;)
Music Player Daemon (MPD) is a flexible, powerful, server-side application for playing music. (...) it can play a variety of sound files while being controlled by its network protocol.
Looks like MPD is a kind of client server thingy. Server here you connect your storage and DAC. Network connection. No X-Windows and desktop environment. Just OpenSSH (or Dropbear if you like). For testing use an old or salvaged generic x86 PC (or virtual machine if you like). Use distro of your choice but make sure NOT to install X-Windows. If everything works well transfer setup to ARM based hardware.

Client is optional. Connect to server with secure shell and launch ncmpc. Or run ncmpc on client computer. Or use GMPC on WIndows or Linux machine. Or turn your smartphone with MALP into a MPD remote control. Bute real men talk to MPD via telnet on port 6600 :lol: . Choose your poison.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 4th, 2018, 12:00 am

Qwin wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:20 pm
I will control this via a network connected android tablet with GMPC on it.
No GMPC for Android. Use MALP or MPDroid. https://www.musicpd.org/clients/

Qwin wrote:
Minimal Ubuntu is the basic Ubuntu OS without a GUI desktop and available as a download here: https://dn.odroid.com/S905/Ubuntu/
I was told to use this and it would work with GMPC quote:
"gmpc is a gnome application. When you install it, it will install the necessary desktop components as well. It will transform your minimal image into a desktop one, but without some tweaks for video acceleration.
You'll need a mouse/keyboard/tv to operate it, or vnc."
# apt-get install ncmpc
or
$ sudo apt-get install ncmpc

Qwin wrote:
setting up a home network
... is the very first thing to do. Make sure machines can talk to each other.

Qwin wrote:
Its all over my head as I am only a week or two into this stuff.
Relax. MPD is quite versatile. Get used to it and you'll love it. Promise :)

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 4th, 2018, 12:18 am

skidoo wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 11:34 pm
@qwin> RTFM ;)
Music Player Daemon (MPD) is a flexible, powerful, server-side application for playing music. (...) it can play a variety of sound files while being controlled by its network protocol.
Looks like MPD is a kind of client server thingy. Server here you connect your storage and DAC. Network connection. No X-Windows and desktop environment. Just OpenSSH (or Dropbear if you like). For testing use an old or salvaged generic x86 PC (or virtual machine if you like). Use distro of your choice but make sure NOT to install X-Windows. If everything works well transfer setup to ARM based hardware.

Client is optional. Connect to server with secure shell and launch ncmpc. Or run ncmpc on client computer. Or use GMPC on WIndows or Linux machine. Or turn your smartphone with MALP into a MPD remote control. Bute real men talk to MPD via telnet on port 6600 :lol: . Choose your poison.
Yes, I have got MPD running from boot on my Odroid C2 (SBC), I only have command line input, no GUI. Most of what you suggest is beyond my present knowledge. I was trying to avoid the network/client issues till I was more experienced, hence trying to run MPD/GMPC on the same device. My understanding is that the Client App does not have to be on a separate device. I think it is going to be just all round easier to install a distro with a GUI, if somewhat wasteful of storage space, in that I will be installing lots of features I don't need, but I've used a 128GB eMMC module so space is not too critical.
Last edited by Qwin on December 4th, 2018, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 4th, 2018, 12:26 am

@skidoo No GMPC for Android - whoops your right, just made that presumption.
Last edited by Qwin on December 4th, 2018, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

max
Forum team

Post by max » December 4th, 2018, 6:55 am

Qwin wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 12:18 am
I was trying to avoid the network/client issues till I was more experienced, hence trying to run MPD/GMPC on the same device.
But that's more complicated if your device doesn't have any way to display a GUI.
Your approach is so wrong and complicated, I don't know where to start. Why are you doing it this way?

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 4th, 2018, 10:27 am

"why are you doing it this way"

First, I can't afford the NAS set up and price of a Tablet at present, operating from just a single low cost SBC would have got me an audio output.

Second, my main priority is to get an i2s audio output from the SBC, so I can develop the hardware solution/chain needed to interface with my DAC over HDMI cables (Not using HDMI protocol).

Third, if my i2s hardware solution won't work, I want to know about this before purchasing a NAS set up.

You say the networking bit is easy, but I've never set one up. I presume one device is the main one and this would be the "server" ? My SBC has a gigabit wired connection to my BT Modem/Switch/wifi hub. Can I set up the network from my laptop, if it is going to be removed at a later date and replaced by a tablet to control MPD ? Or does the network have to be set up from my SBC which has MPD on it ? I will have to read up on the subject.

I am now rethinking the way forward, as being to set up the Network and temporally use my Windows laptop, to install the Client software for MPD. Make a simple Network with my SBC, Modem and laptop. I have around 10 Flac music files loaded into a Music folder in my user acount on the SBC, which has MPD loaded. I edited mpd.conf to make this location my music library, again a temporary step to get things working. The NAS set up can be added to the network later.

This is my thinking based on limited knowledge. My prime objective is to listen to music, not be an expert on Linux, but I realize some knowledge is necessary to set this up. The first computer I ever used was a HP Unix workstation, this was about 30 years ago, pure command line, so some of the Linux commands are familiar, but I have forgotten most of it.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 4th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Qwin wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 10:27 am
"why are you doing it this way"
:mrgreen:
Qwin wrote:
the networking bit is easy, but I've never set one up. (...) My SBC has a gigabit wired connection to my BT Modem/Switch/wifi hub.
Network equiment and no network? :lol: Lets enjoy some rocket science. First connect Odroid hardware using Ethernetcable to switch. Most consumer grade access points using DHCP to automagically provide IP addresses to clients.

Code: Select all

$ sudo ifconfig -a
inet shows assigned IP address. On Windows use ipconfig in a cmd.exe window. Execute ping <IP address of other computer>

Qwin wrote:
use my Windows laptop, to install the Client software for MPD.
Warning: GMPC does not install on x64 Windows. Use portable edition.

Qwin

Post by Qwin » December 5th, 2018, 1:52 pm

@skidoo
Tried some of what you suggested this morning.

I had to log on to my router to check a few things and change the admin password from the default one. While I was doing that I looked at the connected devices and made a note of my Laptop and SBC ip addresses.

I got on the laptop (windows10 wifi connected) and through a command prompt confirmed it's ip address.
I also pinged the SBC ip from the laptop, it had no losses and avg 9ms turn around, so it's happy.

I moved to the SBC (minimal image Ubuntu 18.04 wired Ethernet) and the first thing was that ifconfig is "command not found" I tried man ifconfig, man ls, man mv, all of which were not found, turns out man was not installed, so I installed it. Then did some digging on the Ubuntu forum threads and it turns out ifconfig was replaced a while back with ip address or ip a. I used this and confirmed the SBC's ip address as matching what the router reported.
I tried pinging the Laptop and it sent packets but then just sat there thinking, did not report back or return to a prompt, I had to disconnect the power to crash out. I tried a second time with the same result. So it's not happy.
Any ideas why "ping ip address" would just hang ? It eventually times out and goes back to a prompt.

Point taken about GMPC - I will have to use a different Client app on the Windows Laptop.

EDIT: I tried "sudo apt-get install iputils-ping" but I already have the latest version installed so not upgraded.

skidoo

Post by skidoo » December 5th, 2018, 6:57 pm

I also pinged the SBC ip from the laptop, it had no losses and avg 9ms turn around, so it's happy.
Your network is not happy at all :roll: Turnaround on a recent ethernet network should by 1ms or less. What happens if you ping your default gateway?
and it sent packets but then just sat there thinking, did not report back or return to a prompt, I had to disconnect the power to crash out. I tried a second time with the same result. So it's not happy.
Common Odroid C2 issue says Ma Google. And a showstopper. Fix it before you continue.
Point taken about GMPC - I will have to use a different Client app on the Windows Laptop.
:?: http://download.sarine.nl/Programs/gmpc ... sh.paf.exe