best mobile-client for mpd...

There are many, many clients for MPD. Many of them are old and unsupported, but maybe someone here can help you with them anyway...

best mobile-client for mpd...

Postby conta » November 4th, 2013, 11:35 am

Hi there!
I'm new to this forum - so hello to everybody! :P

I'm using mpd now for quite a while and apart from very tiny problems i'm very happy with the proggie. --> Big compliments to the programmers!!
That's for the server-part, with the client-part it's a different thing:

Actually i use an old Ipod 2. generation and because of that a quite old version of MPod, which does not really satisfy me. Now i want to purchase a new device mainly to control my music-library.
So my question is: What would you recommend me to buy? As far as i oversee the situation, for IOS there is most software, the next is Android and at the very last place comes WinRT/Win8. When i prefere to avoid IOS in future, it would be the best to take an Android-advice, an Nexus10 for example, correct?
And what software would you say, is the best to use?
For example: i like the user-guidance of Foobar2000 for Windows a lot. Is there something comparable for mpd? My media-PC is running under Linux - so far i cannot use Foobar.
Thanks in advance for any opinion!!

PS: Sorry for my bad english - its not my language... :oops:
conta

Re: best mobile-client for mpd...

Postby conta » November 7th, 2013, 9:58 am

Oh... kind of quiet here...
is this forum still alive?

Or does nobody use a mpd-client on a mobile device? To me it looks like the only solution to use my music-collection in a practicable manner.
And for that i'm wondering, why there are only so few and limited apps available.

Nobody with similar thoughts :?:
conta

Postby Ran » November 7th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Ran

Postby conta » November 7th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Thanks for the advice!
So i guess, that it will be the best to get an android device. At least there are 3 different clients. For Win8/RT there is only one, which looks not to good... :roll:

MPDroid looks quite fine on the screenshots, i will see, how it turns out in reality. But I'm sure it won't be perfect - that would be to easy! :lol:
conta

Postby Ran » November 8th, 2013, 12:13 am

MPDroid is under constant development. It can fetch cover art from the web and from a local web server. Easy to implement and the developer is very fast responding to questions. I find the 7 inches are just right for me to search my library and control my music.
Ran

Postby conta » November 8th, 2013, 11:21 am

Ran wrote:It can fetch cover art from the web and from a local web server.

Hmmm,
this, e.g. is for me a point of criticism. I have my covers as cover.jpg in every folder and i would prefer to use these pictures. And i have also jpg's for back-cover and inside-cover....
But i know, live is not a picnic. :D
So i will see what is possible and what is not, but it will last till christmas. My device of choice for now is the Nexus 10.

Do you know maybe if there is a MPDroid-Forum where a discussion about its features can be found?
conta

Postby Ran » November 8th, 2013, 6:56 pm

I also use cover.jpg. You can specify what type of file to use. Works like a charm.
Ran

Postby Rasi » January 13th, 2014, 5:44 pm

since mpdroid obviously has no access to your mpd's filesystem, it cannot retrieve the images. thats why you need to work with a intermediate http server, which serves the images.
Rasi
Forum team

Postby conta » January 20th, 2014, 10:02 am

@Rasi:
Thanks for the explanation. So its the question why the mpd-clients don't have access to the database-filesystem. Would make things easier. But on the other hand - its not that difficult to install the webserver and it works out very well.

@Ran:
In the meantime, i received my Nexus 10 and use it with the recommended MPDroid. It works well and you are right - it's definitely the best android-mpd-client.
BUT there are still a lot of points, which are not really satisfying. The main point for me are the covers - i would really like to see the covers when searching in the library. And when i listen to a song, i would prefer to see the cover in original-size and the back-covers too.
And there are also other points. For example it is not so easy to search for a mixed CD (sampler) and play it back.
But all in all i have to say, it's not that bad at all.
Maybe it's the best, to send the developer a mail with my "improvement catalogue". I am sure he will be happy... :D
conta

Postby Ran » January 20th, 2014, 2:29 pm

You can set up MPDroid to fetch the covers from the web or locally (via web server). Also, disable the "Tablet UI" under the settings. This will give you bigger cover art.
Ran

Postby Rasi » April 3rd, 2014, 3:34 pm

conta wrote:@Rasi:
Thanks for the explanation. So its the question why the mpd-clients don't have access to the database-filesystem. Would make things easier. But on the other hand - its not that difficult to install the webserver and it works out very well.

Ehm, and how is that supposed to work. this would need a local filesystem mount on your android device.
But mpdroid supports cover.jpg anyway with the help of a http server on your mpd host.

https://github.com/abarisain/dmix/wiki/ ... n-your-LAN
Rasi
Forum team

Postby kartvaluesalld » July 16th, 2016, 4:16 am

Ran wrote:Install MPDroid:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ev.mpdroid

You're done.

Thanks Bro
kartvaluesalld

Return to Other Clients