What's about implementing OSC based protocol?

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
Showvars

What's about implementing OSC based protocol?

Post by Showvars » May 17th, 2019, 1:02 pm

I think OSC is realy good protocol for realtime controling networking sound synthesizers, computers, and other multimedia devices. The first time I ran into him in the Behringer X32 mixers by writing some automatization and monitoring tools and I really liked it.

Why this can be useful for MPD? First of all, OSC is de facto standard for professional devices and there are many software and hardware tools that can be used just now. Secondly, OSC is dead simple (for example, you may send only one UDP packet to command a play action) and it is good for embedded devices. In third, OSC designed for realtime applications. MPD can instantiate events by self and notify subscribers with near zero latency.

In my honest opinion, MPD is more than just an audio player with remote control. It can be used in a variety of scenarios and in a professional environment too.

This is just an idea and maybe it will interest someone.

Actually, I have a question about the possibility of integrating an additional controling protocol into the current MDP code base. I think I can implement it, but for this I need some community support and a little help to understand the integration structure of the main MPD protocol.

P.S. I really appreciate the efforts of the authors that maintain such a wonderful audio player. Thank you.

max
Forum team

Re: What's about implementing OSC based protocol?

Post by max » May 18th, 2019, 9:46 am

Why not. If you need help with hacking the code, just ask. On Freenode, there's channel #mpd-dev for MPD developers.