Stickers on Album level ?

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
mike.errecart

Stickers on Album level ?

Post by mike.errecart »

Hi all,
First of all, english is not my native language, so please excuse my probably strange way of expressing things.

I'm kinda new to MPD, i discovered this amazing piece of software via RuneAudio, on Raspberry Pi. Thinking about how to implement some feature for RuneAudio, i came across MPD Stickers, wich looked like a perfect candidate. As i can understand reading the protocol specification for stickers, stickers can be applied to all MPD "objects", like songs, albums etc. That was promising ;)

While testing the sticker commands, i always come across the error "unknown sticker domain" when i try to use stickers on a MPD object that is not a "song".
Does that mean that stickers can only be applied to "song" objects for now, and that handling other objects types is not yet implemented ? Or does that mean that i totally missed something ? ;)

Thanks !

Mike

max
Forum team

Re: Stickers on Album level ?

Post by max »

Stickers are only implemented for songs right now. I never continued developing them, after some frustration. People begged to have stickers implemented for years, which I finally did; and after that, nobody actually used them. Client developers ignored the feature.

mike.errecart

Post by mike.errecart »

Hi Max and thanks a lot for your answer.

What a pity stickers are no more developped, they were perfect candidates for some features i had in mind in RuneAudio. A key/value pair store for all MPD objetcs directly integrated with MPD was such a great feature.

Any chance stickers get back in the roadmap ? That would be great (different backend implemeentation for stickers would be awesome !).

Thanks again for your work i just discovered a few days ago.

Mike

max
Forum team

Post by max »

Why would you want a different backend?

mike.errecart

Post by mike.errecart »

Hi Max,

I was considering binary storage directly in MPD, to store cover art for albums and a picture for each artist. That's why "Album" and "Artist" levels for stickers looked like perfect.
So, i was considering using stickers to store a base64 encoded binary data of an image for each album, and for each artist. I considered (wrongly perhaps) that SQLite was not the best backend to store blobs, especially with huge music librairies. The idea was to develop "Browse by cover art" and "Browse by artist photo" in RuneAudio.

Storing album and artist images directly in MPD might be a very bad idea, but i wanted to make some tests that way.

Mike

skidoo

Post by skidoo »

max wrote:Stickers (...) Client developers ignored the feature.
Looks like it is time for Max' Seal of Approval(tm) ;)