Feature request: Limiting the sample rate

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
bnilsson

Feature request: Limiting the sample rate

Post by bnilsson » May 12th, 2015, 5:09 pm

audio_output_format <sample_rate:bits:channels> can either follow the media format, or be enforced to a specific setting.

If you (like me) would like to achieve "bit perfect" audio if possible, it is usually a bad idea to enforce the format.
However, if you (like me) have a DAC which doesn't do 192kHz very well, and have (like me) several tracks coded in 192kHz sample rate in the music library, it is a very difficult situation. Either you can't play some tracks with this DAC, or you lock the sample rate to a setting which sometimes is different than which is coded in the media files, which in turn violates the "bit perfect" principle.

A solution would be to LIMIT the sample rate by some method, e.g by writing "=<96000:*:*", meaning that sample rate would follow the media up to 96000, but higher media sample rate would be enforced to 96000.
Would this be a feasible idea?

BN

Rasi
Forum team

Re: Feature request: Limiting the sample rate

Post by Rasi » June 14th, 2015, 1:32 am

a solution would be to use pulseaudio with samplerate 88200 and alternate_samplerate 96000, which basically fulfills all use cases.