Starting freshly compiled MPD as a service

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
hansheijmans

Starting freshly compiled MPD as a service

Post by hansheijmans » May 8th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Hello,

Just compiled 0.19.9 on my raspberry pi 2 (running raspbian wheezy) but couldn't get MPD to run automatically as a service. Before a executed "sudo make install" I uninstalled the present version 0.16. After that I tried "sudo service mpd enable" and "sudo service mpd start", both not creating any output and the latter not starting anything.

I also tried running mpd manually but it complained about not able to find configuration file (however, there is a mpd.conf present in /etc). so tried "sudo mpd /etc/mpd.conf" which finally loaded mpd but started complaining about the database file.

Does anyone have some tips and tricks to start mpd as a service?

Thanks!

Hans.

max
Forum team

Re: Starting freshly compiled MPD as a service

Post by max » May 8th, 2015, 6:22 pm

You need to write an init script that launches MPD. The Debian package you uninstalled has one; you can easily re-install it and add the line "DAEMON=/usr/local/bin/mpd" to /etc/default/mpd and then the init script will launch the MPD instance you installed in /usr/local instead of the one that came with the Debian package.

hansheijmans

Post by hansheijmans » May 9th, 2015, 9:58 am

Thanks Max, it worked!!!

I have got only one issue. For some reason mpd cannot play internet radio streams anymore. It reports "MPD reported the following error: No such song". Something I missed during compile time?

Thanks again!

hansheijmans

Post by hansheijmans » May 9th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Yet another question...output from ./configure:

Code: Select all

Archive support:
	(+bzip2) (-ISO9660) (-ZIP) 
Which libraries do I need to enable ISO9960 and ZIP options?

BTW: got radio streams working!!

Suggestion: maybe to provide some documentation on which libraries to install for which options? Or maybe I overlooked...?