SACD ISO playback in MPD

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
manisiutkin

Re: SACD ISO playback in MPD

Post by manisiutkin » November 9th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Interesting, that Björk's Vespertine disc doesn't have any text info. Could be some mastering error or something... For example, Medúlla shows correctly at least on my Ubuntu setup.

smoothquark

Post by smoothquark » November 9th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Exactly the same here. sacd_extract does not show any other data other than the year. Thinking of trying to view it using a hex editor to see if any of the data is there.

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » November 9th, 2014, 7:57 pm

smoothquark wrote:Exactly the same here. sacd_extract does not show any other data other than the year. Thinking of trying to view it using a hex editor to see if any of the data is there.
I did with the hex editor. All text blocks are just zeroes.

smoothquark

Post by smoothquark » November 9th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Yep, found the same. I wonder if it is possible to have an extra file alongside the .iso which will have the necessary metadata, say from musicbrainz? I don't use windows, but I think foobar2000 does that? I guess writing directly to the iso would not be a good thing?

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » November 10th, 2014, 10:29 am

Yes, foobar (foo_input_sacd plugin, actually) can have tracks info in *.xml file alongside with *.iso. But foobar has tag editor onboard. I'm not sure that MPD can do the same.

afalout

Post by afalout » November 13th, 2014, 1:36 am

manisiutkin wrote:Yes, foobar (foo_input_sacd plugin, actually) can have tracks info in *.xml file alongside with *.iso. But foobar has tag editor onboard. I'm not sure that MPD can do the same.
MPD, being a daemon, cant. But I see no problem with using Foobar's editor to create those few XML files that are needed, if MPD SACD/DVD-A ISO plugin can read them?

As a stop-gap measure, maybe you can use iso's filename for album name, and name tracks "Track n"?

BTW, will *.[iI][sS][oO] matches be processed, or do I need to start renaming everything to lowercase?

Thank you, Maxim!

afalout

Post by afalout » November 13th, 2014, 7:20 am

Hello Maxim,

three quick Qs about DVD-A support:

1) All my DVD-A ISOs are scanned into database as
01 - Unknown Track (L-R 24/192000 MPL)
(or simmilar depending on number of channels/rate)
Is this expected? Can track names be extracted from DVD-A ISO's?

2) are there any decoder {plugin "dvdaiso" ... configuration setting available?
In particular, the playable_area ?

3) Did you had a chance to add playable_area to SACDISO plugin?

Much appreciated!
Andrej

Ran

Post by Ran » November 13th, 2014, 4:37 pm

I gave up on using ISO files. I find that they are so poorly tagged that I have no choice but to extract them to individual files and tag them properly.

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » November 13th, 2014, 9:38 pm

afalout wrote: MPD, being a daemon, cant. But I see no problem with using Foobar's editor to create those few XML files that are needed, if MPD SACD/DVD-A ISO plugin can read them?

As a stop-gap measure, maybe you can use iso's filename for album name, and name tracks "Track n"?

BTW, will *.[iI][sS][oO] matches be processed, or do I need to start renaming everything to lowercase?
Actually, I'd wait until MPD gets consistent tag editing facility.

Yes, did that.

*.[iI][sS][oO] should be ok.

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » November 13th, 2014, 9:50 pm

afalout wrote:Hello Maxim,
1) All my DVD-A ISOs are scanned into database as
01 - Unknown Track (L-R 24/192000 MPL)
(or simmilar depending on number of channels/rate)
Is this expected? Can track names be extracted from DVD-A ISO's?

2) are there any decoder {plugin "dvdaiso" ... configuration setting available?
In particular, the playable_area ?

3) Did you had a chance to add playable_area to SACDISO plugin?
1) It is expected. No, there's no such text info on DVD-A discs.

2) A few options can be set in dvdaiso or sacddvdaiso section like:

decoder {
plugin "sacddvdaiso"
no_downmixes "true" (true is default, better not set it to false)
no_short_tracks "true" (true is default)
# playable_area "multichannel" (not set by default, shows both tracks)
# playable_area "stereo"
}

3) I did.

afalout

Post by afalout » November 14th, 2014, 6:53 am

Ran wrote:I gave up on using ISO files. I find that they are so poorly tagged that I have no choice but to extract them to individual files and tag them properly.
That is easily solved using XML file for tagging ISO contents, just as Foobar does.

afalout

Post by afalout » November 14th, 2014, 6:58 am

manisiutkin wrote:
afalout wrote: MPD, being a daemon, cant. But I see no problem with using Foobar's editor to create those few XML files that are needed, if MPD SACD/DVD-A ISO plugin can read them?
Actually, I'd wait until MPD gets consistent tag editing facility.
I dont think MPD will ever get tag editing facility, as it is not a GUI/client application.

Can't the Foobar XML reading code be reused, to enable SACD & DVD-A MPD plugins to read xml files created by Foobar?

afalout

Post by afalout » November 14th, 2014, 7:12 am

manisiutkin wrote: 2) A few options can be set in dvdaiso or sacddvdaiso section like:

decoder {
plugin "sacddvdaiso"
no_downmixes "true" (true is default, better not set it to false)
no_short_tracks "true" (true is default)
# playable_area "multichannel" (not set by default, shows both tracks)
# playable_area "stereo"
}
Thanks for that. Few questions:

1) Does that mean that all settings for both SACD and DVD-A functionality now belong into the plugin "sacddvdaiso", or is the plugin "sacdiso" section still needed (for dstdec_threads, edited_master, and lsbitfirst)

2) If all settings now go into "sacddvdaiso", does that mean that playable_area applies to both SACD and DVD-A?

3) Am I correct in assuming that playable_area only impacts the files scanner, at the time ISO files are inserted into the MPD database?

4) For no_downmixes , you say "better not set it to false" - does that mean that downmixes cannot be avoided?

5) For no_short_tracks, what is the cutover for a track to be considered "short"?

Cheers,
Andrej

afalout

Post by afalout » November 14th, 2014, 9:40 am

Hello all,

Something seems to be wrong with my setup; whatever sample rate converter I use, I allways get the same CPU utilization when playing SACD ISOs (about 180% for 2CH and 400% for MCH, on Atom 2 core with hyperthreading=4threads)

I can see in log files that settings are applied, for example:

Nov 14 21:18 : soxr: soxr engine 'single-precision-SIMD'
Nov 14 21:18 : soxr: samplerate conversion ratio to 0.27
or
Nov 14 22:14 : libsamplerate: setting samplerate conversion ratio to 0.27

But CPU utilization stays the same for all 5 soxr and libsamplerate modes. In low quality modes, I hear noise, so it seems that resampling methods does indeed change??

HOWEVER, I just tried playing DSD files (.dff) and that plays with barely 10% CPU utilization with same setting that takes 180% playing SACD ISOs! (samplerate_converter "3")

Maxim, could this indicate some issue with how SACD plugin opens DSD files from SACD ISO?

I tried adding explicit auto_resample "no" to disables ALSA's software resampling, with no change.

Did anyone else see this behaviour? Any suggestions?
If your CPU use changes with different resamplig methods, would you share your mpd.conf file with me?

Thanks,
Andrej

Ran

Post by Ran » November 14th, 2014, 4:40 pm

afalout wrote:
Ran wrote:I gave up on using ISO files. I find that they are so poorly tagged that I have no choice but to extract them to individual files and tag them properly.
That is easily solved using XML file for tagging ISO contents, just as Foobar does.

This is bad idea. There is no standard for using XML for tagging. It is not portable and requires a player to read the playing file as well as an XML file for the meta-data.

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » November 14th, 2014, 10:50 pm

afalout wrote: 1) Does that mean that all settings for both SACD and DVD-A functionality now belong into the plugin "sacddvdaiso", or is the plugin "sacdiso" section still needed (for dstdec_threads, edited_master, and lsbitfirst)

2) If all settings now go into "sacddvdaiso", does that mean that playable_area applies to both SACD and DVD-A?

3) Am I correct in assuming that playable_area only impacts the files scanner, at the time ISO files are inserted into the MPD database?

4) For no_downmixes , you say "better not set it to false" - does that mean that downmixes cannot be avoided?

5) For no_short_tracks, what is the cutover for a track to be considered "short"?
1) All settings for both plugins go into "sacddvdaiso"
2) Yes, for both.
3) Yes, you are correct.
4) Downmixes very likely crash MPD. Set it to "false" and try :)
5) When less than 2 seconds.

afalout

Post by afalout » November 14th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Ran wrote:
afalout wrote:
This is bad idea. There is no standard for using XML for tagging. It is not portable and requires a player to read the playing file as well as an XML file for the meta-data.
Its a good idea for me :) There is defacto standard (as there is only one format for doing this), it would be portable between all players I care to play ISOs on, and reading playing file as well as XML I do not see as a problem at all.

OTOH, it save me from extracting literaly terabites of data from ISOs and of course paying for terabites of duplicated storage, backing it up... etc.

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » November 14th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Ran wrote:
afalout wrote:

I agree. For MPD this is bad idea.

manisiutkin

Post by manisiutkin » December 7th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Multitrack and DST-encoded DSDIFF files are supported from now on.

conta

Post by conta » December 18th, 2014, 11:25 am

Just a short question:
Do you intend to integrate this sacd-iso-plugin in the main program? Would make things much easier. :)

And second question:
About tagging - do you see a chance to change the tags in the sacd-iso directly? Same again - would make things much easier. :D

And thanks a lot for your efforts about the whole pc-sacd-handling!