Customizable tags

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
nbpf

Customizable tags

Post by nbpf »

I have been using MPD for about two years on a minimal Debian system serving a USB -> SPDIF converter and into a Naim DAC based system. The server runs very reliably and I am very happy with this system. I think MPD fits my needs better than the proprietary software offered by Naim and other manufacturers.

But MPD -- as most players I came across -- has a major limitation: it does not support user-specific tags. And some of the tags it provides are, for my needs, not adequate. I consider customizable tags mandatory: tags reflect both user specific interests and personal schemes of organising a music collection. If you are interested in classical music you will use a different set of tags than someone who is interested in progressive rock.

MPD is an great, open source tool: it should not arbitrarily restrict the freedom of organizing a music collection by imposing Apple-like, low-dimensional tag worlds: Album, Genre, Composer, Artist and the likes. I thought I would try to add to MPD and to a simple MPD client a user defined tag. Yesterday I have downloaded mpd-0.16.7 and ncmpcpp-0.5.10 and spent some hours hacking the sources. My first impressions are:

- Adding an arbitrary, say "Conductor", tag to MPD and ncmpcpp is almost straightforward. The only exception is haking the search eng\ine of ncmpcpp which is implemented in terms of a number of hard wired constants (number of tag / constraints) and has virtually no explicit contracts.

- To get the work done, I had to hack the sources of MPD, ncmpcpp, libmpdclient and taglib. I might have done more than it is actually necessary, of course.

- After some hours, I can filter my music collection with "Conductor" tag values and set the "Conductor" tag of a collection\ of files to, e.g., "Daniel Barenboim". But this is not the way to go and ...

- ... I think that MPD would really take advantage from a well designed tag customization. What about a TAG section in mpd.conf where users can add their own tags and deselect default core tags ? What do you think ?

Rasi
Forum team

Re: Customizable tags

Post by Rasi »

This belongs on the bugtracker and while i would love this feature, i fear i know the answer :)

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

Rasi wrote:This belongs on the bugtracker and while i would love this feature, i fear i know the answer :)
Thanks for your reply Rasi. I am not sure this is a bug. I have opened a feature request on https://github.com/cmende/libmpdclient/issues/1 but no comments so far. I have looked at the sources a bit more and I think it should not be too diffcult to implement an MPD version with support for customizable tags. Maybe I'll just implement a prototype. Best, nbpf

rhoering

Post by rhoering »

A fellow Naim owner. Welcome!

Rasi
Forum team

Post by Rasi »

nbpf wrote:
Rasi wrote:This belongs on the bugtracker and while i would love this feature, i fear i know the answer :)
Thanks for your reply Rasi. I am not sure this is a bug. I have opened a feature request on https://github.com/cmende/libmpdclient/issues/1 but no comments so far. I have looked at the sources a bit more and I think it should not be too diffcult to implement an MPD version with support for customizable tags. Maybe I'll just implement a prototype. Best, nbpf

thats not the correct project....

http://bugs.musicpd.org/my_view_page.php - chose libmpdclient from the dropdown menu in the top right corner. then sugmit your bug

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

In another attempt at getting some feedback on tag customization from MPD developers, I have posted a feature request (4441) on the libmpdclient bug tracker:
MPD does not support user-specific tags. Customizable tags are mandatory to meet specific musical interests (classical music, for instance) or to use MPD for managing a music collection in, for example, a school, museum or public institution.

MPD is an great, open tool: it should not arbitrarily restrict the freedom of organizing a music collection by imposing on the user a limited number of hard-coded tags: Album, Genre, Composer, etc.

I suggest to improve MPD's configurability by adding a TAG section to mpd.conf. The TAG section shall allow users to add their own tags and, possibly, deselect default core tags
As a related remark, MPD seems to accept multiple values for certain tags (ARTIST, for instance) but not for others. GENRE, in particular, seems not to support multiple values. Is there a rationale behind this limitation? Is it intentional? Is it a bug? Multiple values for GENRE are obviously as essential as multiple values for ARTIST, in particular given that user customizable tags are not currently supported. For instance, I expect the GENRE tag of "The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080" to contain, among others, values like "classical", "baroque", "organ" or -- depending on the specific interpretation -- perhaps "piano". Why is tag management so unmanageable under MPD? Are we all expected to move to Jriver? Sorry for insisting on this issue but MPD could really be a great tool if it was just a little bit more customizable.

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

As an aside: MPD does support multiple values both for ARTIST and for GENRE, please see http://forum.musicpd.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3851. Best, nbpf