Local Album Art

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
franzem

Local Album Art

Post by franzem » August 1st, 2013, 6:52 am

Hi,

I have recently started using Mpd as an alternative to XBMC for music playback because of the excellent gapless playback. Must admit to being very impressed so far.

The one thing I really miss is album art. I don't think the solution of letting each client download its own is satisfactory. And the local web server thing is very fiddly.

I found a discussion on the old Wiki about local album art. The basic idea that local id3 embedded album art should be made available, but that mpd would not be responsible for downloading album art is extremely reasonable.

I was wondering if any work was being done in this area to extend the protocol and to Implement it in mpd? Of course, the client developers would have work to do so this is more of a long term question...

Michael

franzem

Re: Local Album Art

Post by franzem » August 1st, 2013, 6:56 am

franzem

Post by franzem » August 21st, 2013, 7:01 am

The best implementation that I can see is to extend the MPD protocol with a flag indicating that local cover art is available for a track, either based on id3 tag or an image file with correct name in the same folder as the album.

The next step would be to implement a new message whereby the Client could request that image.

Building that into the daemon would be give clients the opportunity to implement it on their side.

Ran

Post by Ran » August 22nd, 2013, 5:11 pm

This is what you need:

https://github.com/abarisain/dmix/wiki/ ... n-your-LAN

Works like a charm. You can use this with any application that can read the image from a web server. The overhead of the web server daemon is minimal.

franzem

Post by franzem » July 11th, 2014, 8:44 am

Yes, that solution could work, but not for ID3 embedded album art.

I don't understand why MPD insists on treating the cover album art ID3 tags as something special.

I also think it's pointless that MPD should be tasked with maintaining the album art (downloading, etc). That is really best left to other software/done manually.