ID3 POPM frame ratings

Discuss client development (or even MPD development if you feel so inclined), ask questions about the client libs, MPD feature requests from client developers, etc...
perelin

ID3 POPM frame ratings

Post by perelin » July 1st, 2013, 7:06 pm

Crossposting from General since nobody there answered :(

Hi!

I´m thinking about ditching good´ol iTunes in favor of a raspberrypi/mpd combo. My only concern is the handling of song ratings (rated 4000+ songs and depend heavily on some sort of rating feature). I goggled around a bit but didn´t find anything concerning the handling of music ratings in the mpd context. My guess would be: it has to be done by the client, doesn´t it? So:

What is the best practice of handling song ratings with mpd?
How do you do it?

(I wrote myself a little script that embeds my iTunes ratings into the actual mp3 files as id3 POPM frames. So I´m willing and able to do all the necessary conversion tasks myself.)

Help and advice is very much appreciated!

FlyingLotus1983

Re: ID3 POPM frame ratings

Post by FlyingLotus1983 » August 3rd, 2013, 7:15 pm

perelin wrote:I´m thinking about ditching good´ol iTunes in favor of a raspberrypi/mpd combo. My only concern is the handling of song ratings (rated 4000+ songs and depend heavily on some sort of rating feature). I goggled around a bit but didn´t find anything concerning the handling of music ratings in the mpd context. My guess would be: it has to be done by the client, doesn´t it? So:

What is the best practice of handling song ratings with mpd?
How do you do it?

(I wrote myself a little script that embeds my iTunes ratings into the actual mp3 files as id3 POPM frames. So I´m willing and able to do all the necessary conversion tasks myself.)

Help and advice is very much appreciated!
Just saw this, I have the same issue (65,000 songs in various formats, all legally purchased). I'm interested in exactly the same thing. mpd doesn't handle the POPM tag whatsoever currently, as far as I know. It should be straightforward to add it, however, using any number of open-source ID3 libraries (I've no idea whether the one mpd uses supports the tag or not), adding an mpd client/server command, and inserting the appropriate function calls to set the rating.

There's another way that would work, albeit it's a bit of a hack. If you have a custom client, and want to group by 1-thru-5 star rating, you can create five playlists for each star rating, and have the client add the song to the appropriate playlist and ensure it's removed from the other four. Then occasionally run a script external to mpd that sets the POPM tag of each song in each playlist accordingly. Yea it's a hack but it doesn't require any mpd server programming or modifications.

Clever idea about getting your iTunes ratings to POPM format though :)

sane

Re: ID3 POPM frame ratings

Post by sane » September 27th, 2013, 8:18 am

Hello,

i also would be very interested in exactly this.

The handling of ratings is something that i always felt is an essential for my music listening and i was very surprised that nobody really seems to miss this point in the mpd environment.

Following things i found out so far:
  • As already mentioned, playlist could be used for ratings. but the handling is not ideal, as somehow the check that a song is not in the 5 stars and the 3 stars list at the same time has to be done. There is a bash script doing something similar, but actually this feels just like a work arround.
  • In the mpd irc channel somebody told me that something like this can be done through "stickers" directly in mpd. As far as i understand, the client actually has to handle this. Is that correct?
  • i read about two plugins called MPD-Rate and MPD-Dynamic that should be able to do that, but i do not really understand how they are working.
I really would appreciate some best practice help in this regard.

Thank you so much.